When should you bottle Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My father-in-law is making a hard cider and is asking me when he should bottle it. I searched online a bit but there isn't nearly as much information out there for cider as their is for beer brewing.

It has been fermenting for about 3 weeks and the airlock is bubbling every 6 seconds. The SG right now is 1.20. Do the rules of 3 days at the same SG apply to cider making? Can you bottle if the airlock is still a bit busy?

Thanks!

It depends on what kind of cider your shooting for and how you plan to finish it. Answer those questions, and better men then I will answer your question.

Ugh this is more difficult lol. He has no idea what he is shooting for or what kind. Any recommendations? He'd like to bottle asap.

Since cider is typically sparkling lets shoot for that. Check out the pasteurization sticky at the top of the cider forum for a great tutorial. Works for any SG cider, but 1.020 is pretty sweet by most standards.

If you are aiming for a dry cider just let it go till it is finished fermenting. Yes, it is like you said, 3 days in a row with same gravity should mean it is done.
Then you can either bottle it still, or prime it (the same as beer) and let it carbonate that way.

Going for a sweet cider gets a little more complicated, especially if you want it sweet AND carbonated.

Back