When should I secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undyingpirate

Reaction score
So,
I have an IPA that has been in primary for 9 days. The OG was 1.070 and it has stayed at a 1.020 for a few days now. I'm kinda bummed because I wanted to finish a little lower, but oh well... Well, anyway, I am planning on dry-hopping in secondary with an oz. of amarillo for a week, then kegging and force carbing for a week or so. So, How long should I keep it in primary for? This is going to be my first batch that I'm actually going to be patient with so I don't mind if I'm going to have to wait another week or so to get it into secondary. This is going to be my first dry-hop and my first secondary. I have read most of the discussions on secondary vs. longer primary, and the only reason I'm going to move into secondary is because of the fact I will be dry-hopping. So if anybody has any input for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
-SEAN

give it another 10-12 days in the primary. it'll clear up some off-flavors, and make the taste crisper and cleaner

Latest posts

Back