When should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relyt

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and this is my first batch, so I could use some help! I've searched the threads, but haven't found one that answers all my questions.

I did the Brewer's Best Nut Brown Ale kit, which is in the secondary right now and has been for 6 days. The instructions say "6 or 7 days in the secondary, or until clear." The problem is that I've been checking it's progress every day it's been in the secondary, and it's still almost as cloudy/murky as it was when I racked it in. if I hold a flashlight on the opposite side of the carboy in a dark room, I can't see any light through the beer:confused:. I haven't seen the airlock bubble in a few days, but I still see small pieces of hops very slowly rise and fall. So when should I bottle it? Does it hurt or affect the beer if I end up keeping it in the secondary for 10-12 days? What if it's still super cloudy after 12ish days?

Thanks guys!

You can keep it in the secondary for months with no ill effects. How long was it in the primary? I usually skip the secondary and just let the beer sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks. You can bottle when you take a couple days worth of hydrometer samples and they are the same. But, I still would let it sit for a while longer.

Have you taken a hydrometer reading yet? It's like a driver's license around here - the cops don't like it when you don't have one.

It's pretty hard to judge clarity in the carboy. In fact, it's not really worth worrying about in any case. You need to follow the proper steps, and eventually, you will have good beer. It may or may not be clear, but it will be good.

Cheers!

Be patient with it. I know it's hard becuse it's your first beer.

Leaving it in secondary for a few weeks won't hurt the beer but only make it better.

I've stopped using secondaries with the exception for dry hopping. I also leave my beer on the yeast cake for at 3 to 4 weeks so the yeasties clean up after themselves. Since I have started doing this my beers are exceptionally clear.

Thanks for all the help!

I have not taken a second hydrometer reading yet. I have it stuck in my head that if I take the bung plug out, all that wonderful CO2 will be replaced with basement air and my beer will be contaminated. What's the best way to get a sample out of the carboy to test it? How much should I take out and should I put it back in when I'm finished, or just pitch it?

the CO2 is heavier than the regular air and will not just pour out.. It is fine to open and test. Get a wine thief (sanitize it first of course) and take a sample for testing.

Don't put your sample back in but drink it. This is a great way to taste the different beer stages.

Present gravity- 1.018
Starting gravity- 1.046
Final gravity specified in recipe- 1.010-1.012

It's tasting pretty awesome thus far! Holding the sample up to the light I could see that it is much clearer than I had thought. I suppose I could let it sit until the weekend before I bottle? I don't know if I can wait a couple more weeks... I'm excited, I just want to fiddle with it!

Back