When is a good time to bottle apple wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I have a apple wine around 15% that has been fermenting for 8 months. Its been racked 3 times and I don't see lees at all. I have had it on medium toasted oak for about 2 months. I tasted it 2-3 months ago and it still tasted strong like liquor but with a great taste of apple.

At this point will bulk aging benefit the wine? Or should I bottle age now.

If it's no longer dropping any lees at all, isn't going through MLF, and is completely clear, it can be bottled and aged in the bottle without any problem.

I have a apple wine around 15% that has been fermenting for 8 months. Its been racked 3 times and I don't see lees at all. I have had it on medium toasted oak for about 2 months. I tasted it 2-3 months ago and it still tasted strong like liquor but with a great taste of apple.

At this point will bulk aging benefit the wine? Or should I bottle age now.

I am curious about the taste after it has been sitting on oak for 2 months. Have you tasted the wine recently? How intense does the oak taste? I don't often use oak but when I do I might allow the wine to sit on the oak for a week or two.

the oak intensity will diminish over time. If you taste a wine after its been on oak for 2 weeks it will taste like oak but open it up a year later and it won't taste anything at all like it did fresh off the oak.

Back