When have you racked your beer too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrific1

Reaction score
I have had one stout and one lager racked for about two months. It has stopped fermenting (obviously). The air locks are still on both carboys. Is the beer still good to keg or bottle and drink?

Check your SG and taste the sample. Unless there are obvious signs of an infection the beer is most likely still good. Will be lacking a lot of suspended sediment though.

I have had one stout and one lager racked for about two months. It has stopped fermenting (obviously). The air locks are still on both carboys. Is the beer still good to keg or bottle and drink?

NOPE! Its bad and should be disposed of. Might I suggest finding friends to pawn it off on.... Can I be your friend, I'll do the dirty work? :D

Cheers
Jay

You racked (siphoned) your beer to another container? So it's in secondary, and it's till there? That's ok, and "too long" in secondary may or may not apply, depending on the type of beer and the amount of headspace in the vessel, but not because it's been sitting. Some beers are just better fresher while others need a bit of age.

Taste them! If they are not horrible, bottle them up and enjoy them!

Back