When bad beers go good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just celebrating the awesomeness of a little time. I brew 15G batches and consistently drink the first keg trying to figure out what went wrong...as I get to the end of keg #1 I start to feel a little optimism. The 2nd keg I share proudly with friends and the 3rd I hoard like it’s the last beer on earth.

I used to think the best thing I did for my beer was to keg....I’m starting to think going to 10 and then 15g was really the best thing because it allowed me to enjoy properly conditioned beer.

I guess kegging is still the best because there no f’ing way I would bottle 15G of beer...

so there it is..the best thing you can do for beer is move to kegging so you can move to larger batches and drink beer at it’s best.

Cheers!

Nothing like 15G batches to force some patience out of you! My 2.5G batches make it a little more difficult to wait, but I'm also a light drinker, so I do sometimes notice nice changes by the time I get to the last bottle.

Nothing like 15G batches to force some patience out of you! My 2.5G batches make it a little more difficult to wait, but I'm also a light drinker, so I do sometimes notice nice changes by the time I get to the last bottle.
Yup, it’s tough at that volume. I tend to test one or two, then tear through about 18 and hide the last 3-4 bottles in the beer fridge and have one every month or so. Sometimes those last four are just ridiculous, especially a darker, high abv.

there no f’ing way I would bottle 15G of beer...

wonderful human being! i'm going to have to think happy thoughts the rest of the night so i don't have a nightmare about that! lol

i too have thought about going to 20 gallon batches. but the price of a pump, always put me off. and with my 10G batches lasting a week. not sure if i want the same thing on tap that long. 🤔 i would be able to do lagers then though.....

I like reading of happy epiphanies :)
Just out of curiosity, what styles do you brew most frequently?

Cheers!
I sort of rotate to be honest. Many are recipes from this site.

2 Hearted Ale clone (which rarely turns out a lot like 2H but is always good)
Amber
Blonde Ale
Milk Stout
Irish Red
Belgian Blonde (next up)

Im pretty boring I guess...stick to the classic ales mostly..nothing crazy But always a little different than i did last time

Leaving your beer in the fermenter longer after fermentation has completed does a lot for conditioning beer. 3 weeks is a good starting point. 6 weeks is better. That time lets a lot of yeast flocculate and settle out.

I think that’s good advice. I’ve been kegging pretty consistently after 2 weeks for a long time but have often thought an extra week or 2 would have benefits.

Back