Wheat (I)PA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Belgian blonde ready to keg and want to try the WLP400 cake out on a wheat pale ale/IPA.

Northernbrewer has a Permafrost with
MASH INGREDIENTS
- 7.0 lbs Rahr 2-row
- 4.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
- 0.75 lb Unmalted Wheat
- 0.75 lb Flaked Oats

Looks like a good start but I don't have the unmalted wheat. Any suggestions as to options appreciated

Also, for hops I have apollo, chinook, falconer flite, citra, fuggles, simcoe, willamette, and Wakaru on hand ......

I like tropical flavors in ipa's but not sure that is what I want with WLP400. Would appreciate suggestions....brewing Sunday

Flaked or torrified wheat will work. I honestly think the subtle hop flavors of fuggles and willamette will go better with the Belgian yeast character than the other citrusy American hops.

Flaked or torrified wheat will work. I honestly think the subtle hop flavors of fuggles and willamette will go better with the Belgian yeast character than the other citrusy American hops.

Thanks you....I was thinking that way but really looking for feedback.....???anywone else ??? Come on...hit me!!!

Ok....Gonig to give this a go tomorrow. There's still time left to save me from a horrible mistake .....

Belgian wheat ipa
Method: All Grain
Style: Specialty IPA: White IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 10.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 12 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.060 Final Gravity: 1.013 ABV (standard): 6.13% IBU (tinseth): 56.93 SRM (morey): 5.84
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
14 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 52.8%
9 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 34%
1.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 5.7%
1 lb Belgian - Biscuit 35 23 3.8%
1 lb Rice Hulls 0 0 3.8%
26.5 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1.5 oz Nugget Leaf/Whole 14 Boil 60 min 33.9
3 oz NZ Wakatu Pellet 7 Boil 15 min 18.5
2 oz Us Delta Pellet 6.4 Aroma 5 min 4.53
3 oz NZ Wakatu Pellet 7 Dry Hop 10 days
Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
1.5 oz Nugget Leaf/Whole 14
6 oz NZ Wakatu Pellet 7
2 oz Us Delta Pellet 6.4
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
-- Infusion 149 F 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.3 qt/lb
Yeast
White Labs - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WLP400
Attenuation (avg):
76%
Flocculation:
Low-Med
Optimum Temp:
67 - 74 °F
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
69 °F
Pitch Rate:
0.75 (M cells / ml / ° P)

It looks very fine to me. Similar to a wheat IPA I brew, but with different hops and yeast.

Given the large percentage of flaked goods, you may want to do a combined beta-glucanase/protein rest for 15 minutes at 122F to make your mash more lauter-able. When I do that I usually don't need rice hulls.

I like Nugget for bittering in beers like this, but am unfamiliar with Delta and Wakatu and how they play with Nugget's strong herbal/earthiness.

BTW, flaked wheat is raw, unmalted wheat. Now flaked/rolled goods are pre-gelatinized, where (raw) grits or berries aren't, and must be boiled, or better, cereal mashed before adding to the mash.

To be more precise, except for flaked corn, the flaked goods we buy aren't really flaked, they're rolled. Now instant oatmeal is flaked.

Another thought, move your late hop additions to a hop stand or whirlpool. I do most if not all my beers that way now and love the results.

I like Nugget for bittering in beers like this, but am unfamiliar with Delta and Wakatu and how they play with Nugget's strong herbal/earthiness.

BTW, flaked wheat is raw, unmalted wheat.

I'm using nugget as bitter because I'm still trying to get through my home grown hops from last year. The delta and wakatu were some hops I got on clearance. I've never used them but I'm a fan of the topical/citrus flavors in IPAs. The wlp400 is yeast cake that I'd like to try using for something different.

Regarding the flaked wheat vs raw.....why would u ever mess with raw?

I'm using nugget as bitter because I'm still trying to get through my home grown hops from last year. The delta and wakatu were some hops I got on clearance. I've never used them but I'm a fan of the topical/citrus flavors in IPAs. The wlp400 is yeast cake that I'd like to try using for something different.

Regarding the flaked wheat vs raw.....why would u ever mess with raw?

As long as you store hops in a freezer at around -4 - 0F they'll stay good for many years. I still have hops from the 2012 harvest, with no detectable deterioration. I add 5% extra per year of age for good measure, and am not sure if it is even needed.

Flavor, perhaps price too, would be the only reason I can think of to use raw kernels, milled right before use. The harder types can be tough on roller type malt mills. I used a pound of rice to clean the mill when I first got it. It made one heck of a racket, you would think the knurl was stripping right off. One should never mill (dried) corn kernels on them! Even flaked corn is hard as a rock. I do mill all flaked/rolled goods, including flaked corn, on a narrow gap (0.025") for faster hydrating.

Been drinking this for a few weeks now and it's good. Recipe says 57 IBU but it comes across a little more bitter than I was expecting. It's not mouth puckering or anything but it's an IPA vs pale ale for sure. I was curious how the Belgian yeast esters would combine with the hop flavors. You can easily taste them both in the beer ... neither really dominate. I'm going to do this again trying some different hops and slightly lower ibu. Any suggestions for hop choices would be welcome. CHEERS!

So I started blending this with the Belgian blonde that was the prior batch and where I got the yeast for this batch.....and..... oh my goodness it's yummy....such an awesome hobby

Kicked 1st keg of the Wheat IPA and just had a glass from second keg. It's really good. My beers always benefit free m some laggering and thIs one is no exception. It's exactly what I was going for.

Back