Wheat DME= Bottle Conditioning Fail.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prohl84

Reaction score
I accidentally bought wheat DME (65/35) said f* it and used it to carbonate a Honey Pale Ale I had bulk aged to near perfection- final sample tasted like a BMC drinker's Sierra Nevada Pale and my plan was to try to convert some BMC drinking family members to the craft.

Now it tastes like :ban:! So maybe disappointment is a better term than fail as it is still very drinkable and the wheat added to head retention significantly I am sure. Instead of SN pale it is like their Kellerweiss.

I am aware that flavoring happens primarily during fermentation and not during carbonation; however from my experience using local honey as a source carbonation I know that an assertive sugar will lend flavor to the finished product. I did not think however, that I would get the bananas because it was on s05 and tasted clean bottling day; granted I have had s05 throw bananas before twice but that happened during fermentation.

Lesson: If you think the sample is spot on do not use an assertive/ unfamiliar carbonating sugar. Fortunately I have a brew in secondary that went bananas so I will use the remaining dme for that.

Latest posts

Back