Wheat beer dropped clear in bottle after 1 week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of hoppy wheat beer I made last week. It was a Cooper's Wheat beer kit that I doctored by adding some hop additions and some dried orange and lemon peel (the kind like they sell at the LHBS). I used US-05 as well since I wanted the yeast to be neutral. I never rack my wheats to secondary (I never really secondary for that matter), but I needed one of my buckets so I went from primary for 2 weeks (still very cloudy) to secondary for 1 week (fairly cloudy at bottling). I went to move the bottles upstairs into a warmer closet and I noticed that I could see straight through them. All of the hazy stuff and yeast are sitting at the bottom and some of it is suspended, but not much.

I'm assuming it is from using a secondary?

clear1.jpg

clear2.jpg

the US-05 you used flocculates more than a wheat yeast, so you'll end up with a clearer beer. it'll still be good, just different

the US-05 you used flocculates more than a wheat yeast, so you'll end up with a clearer beer. it'll still be good, just different

I use US-05 in a lot of my beers, and they're normally very clear after 3-4 weeks in primary, but I wasn't expecting this given how cloudy the beer was, even at bottling. I guess I thought it was the wheat protein that stayed in suspension and that the yeast was to be "roused" from the bottom of the bottle when you decant it.

All of the wheat beers that I've brewed have been really quite clear. I only primary, and usually for 3-5 weeks.

I've never found a taste problem with them - SWMBO keeps asking me to brew more!:)

My lemon wheat with SF05 was the clearest beer I ever bottled... but then when I chilled it, it chill hazed and looked as expected.

I've never had one get this clear, but then again my wheats never really last very long once they're ready. :D

Thanks for the reassurance!

Latest posts

Back