What's your favorite priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizarrojosh

Reaction score
The title says it all.

I currently use dextrose because it's cheap and available at my LHBS.

I'm interested in what others use. One recipe calls for honey as the priming sugar but I wonder if it actually make a difference in taste/health benefits.

So what do you use? Maple Syrup? Sugar? DME? What flavors do you like the best and why? Can you actually taste a difference from the standard dextrose? :mug:

It depends on the beer. Honey for a honey flavored beer, table sugar and corn sugar for most other beers, and candi sugar for Belgians.

I've always done corn sugar, would like to try others, but I don't brew enough to risk it. I should do half batches with different sugars to try it out some time!

Corn sugar is the only thing I've ever used. I'm getting ready to do a honey ale, I'll prime it with more honey.

I've heard there is no difference in taste between honey and dextrose, anyone have any experience?

In my experience with honey the flavor and aroma is there for the first two weeks after carbonation, but it conditions out real fast.

Table sugar for me. I have never noticed any difference other then how much I have to use( slightly less) and the fact I always have it around my place.

I always use dextrose. I always have a bunch on hand for making apfelwein, so it is just easier to use when I am naturally carbing a keg or bottling.

CO2 but when I bottle I use regular table sugar. Only difference I've read is that table sugar is a little harder to dissolve but it's a lot cheaper

Back