Whats wrong with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyohoy

Reaction score
I recently cracked open my Winter Warmers and after a few sips I noticed a slight plastic flavor and a smell of Styrofoam. I've read several things that could have possibly gone wrong. Here are some possible mistakes I made

1) I didn't use filtered water, just plain tap water.
2) The beer fermented REALLY quickly, about 3 days
3) I moved it to the secondary probably way too quick...about 7 days after pitching the yeast.
4) The temperature wasn't perfectly stable, I fermented in my living room.

What could be the main culprit of the funky flavor? Also what tips to you have so I can get a better tasting, more predictable beer?

First of all,I'd say your ferment temp was too high,which usually produces fermentation by products in sufficient PPM's to smell &/or taste them. Depending on the quality of your tap water,that might be ok as long as it's soft,no water conditioners ot chlorine smells. If your local uses chloromine,you'd need to use campden tablets to nutralize it. And never rack to secondary before FG is reached in primary. I leave mine in primary the whole time. That way,the yeast have time after FG is reached to clean up any off flavors & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Sounds like medicinal flavors from chlorine or chloramine. Use a campden tablet per 5 gal of water for either. Chlorine can be removed by testing for 24 hrs or boiling. Hot alcohol flavors and sort of an astringentsy can come from fusal alcohol caused by high ferm temps. Another effect of fusals is wicked stabbing headaches. Check out the basics in John Palmer's how to brew online.

Use a plastic storage bin and rotate frozen water bottles such as 2 liter soda bottles or 2 qt juice bottles in water.

I'd use filtered water if you can. What does your tap water taste like?

My tap water tastes fine, and doesn't smell...but who know?

A water report will tell you if you have chlorine or chloramine in your water, and if so you can use campden tablets to take care of it. If that isn't the issue, I'd be willing to bet you will get a better beer by controlling your fermentation temperature. A swamp cooler or fermentation chamber can really help you reduce off flavors by ensuring you are fermenting at a constant temperature (yeast are very temperature-sensitive and small fluctuations can have a big impact on your beer). Since yeast makes heat as it consumes sugar, and works faster (generating even more heat) at warmer temperatures, the yeast can really increase the fermentation temperature significantly if left to their own devices.

It would focus on your number 3 !
Why move them on ?

I also bet that it's still very green, give it a few weeks and post again.

I used tap water for my first brew and ended up with the same smells/taste. Although I drink it and brew coffee with it and don't notice them, it seemed to be enhanced when I brewed beer with it. Switched to filtered water and it made a huge difference.

A water report will tell you if you have chlorine or chloramine in your water, and if so you can use campden tablets to take care of it. If that isn't the issue, I'd be willing to bet you will get a better beer by controlling your fermentation temperature. A swamp cooler or fermentation chamber can really help you reduce off flavors by ensuring you are fermenting at a constant temperature (yeast are very temperature-sensitive and small fluctuations can have a big impact on your beer). Since yeast makes heat as it consumes sugar, and works faster (generating even more heat) at warmer temperatures, the yeast can really increase the fermentation temperature significantly if left to their own devices.

here is my water quality report, don't really know what any of the numbers mean http://www.sandiego.gov/water/pdf/wq12.pdf

here is my water quality report, don't really know what any of the numbers mean http://www.sandiego.gov/water/pdf/wq12.pdf

The most important thing right off the bat is that Yes you do have chloramine. So, as Yooper and the rest said, that is most likely the source of your off-flavors. And I believe it's one that doesn't get better with age.
So, your next step before your next brew, is to go to your LHBS and pickup some Camden tablets and ask how to use them(it's simple).

Looks like it says the water is treated with chloramine near the bottom, 4 parts per million. Try campden tablets next brew, 1/4 tablet per 5 gallons.

Unless you buy a water filter. Our water smells like pool water, but with a filter in place it's like drinking bottled water, and I use it for brewing and it's great.

Now that I'm doing large partial mashes I dilute my water with store bought as our water is very hard, which a filter doesn't deal with.

Thanks everybody for the info, it's weird because I've always used my tap water for brewing and even winemaking. Never had this issue. Also I have some Camden tablets for winemaking so I'll definitely use them next batch.

Latest posts

Back