What's up with the IPA fad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always come to Houston. None of our breweries put out a great IPA. A couple of good ones, but not any great ones.

So your argument is that I have variety available if I drive for 2 hours and pay for parking in Chicago? Sorry, but gas, tolls, and parking adds up to a quick $50.

And your other option is to drink and drive? Classy.

OK, so what's wrong with this place?
http://wiseguysliquors.com/about-us

They are located WITHIN Hobart. And advertise a wide selection of craft beer.

If your objection is to drinking and driving, then you shouldn't be going to either of the two brew pubs that you're complaining about anyway, because they are both more than 15 miles from Hobart. As already stated, you just want to complain about a non-existent problem. There is more craft beer selection available in the country right now than at any time in history. Time to get over the fact that most craft beer drinkers can't get enough of IPAs. And until that changes, they are not going away, no matter how much you complain about it.

Ready to surrender, or do you want to try to dig yourself in a little deeper?

You're not alone. I like a lot of different styles and flavors. From stout to wheat to fruit to pilsner, lager, amber, porter and even american pale ale.
However, I don't like lpa's all that much. Infact there are a lot I can't stand. I don't like drinking something that tastes like I just shoved a handfull of wild flowers in my mouth! I don't get it either.
One thing I've learned over the last 20 yr.s of having craft beer is that almost everyone has a diff. Choice of their favorites....I do wish there was more of a split between other styles and ipa's though. Cheers!

popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

How dare somebody not like what I like, or just as bad...like what I don't!
I take offense to that. You should be more tolerant,
I should not have to tolerate this!
If I don't like something I shouldn't buy, consume or use it and just keep my big mouth shut, and if I stumble on a post on some internet forum that I don't care for..........well never mind that's completely different.....you know what I mean...to heck with the first amendment...why did they make it the first one anyway:rolleyes:

How dare somebody not like what I like, or just as bad...like what I don't!
I take offense to that. You should be more tolerant,
I should not have to tolerate this!
If I don't like something I shouldn't buy, consume or use it and just keep my big mouth shut, and if I stumble on a post on some internet forum that I don't care for..........well never mind that's completely different.....you know what I mean...to heck with the first amendment...why did they make it the first one anyway:rolleyes:

I get the humor. I really do, and the following is somewhat OT:

A little pet peeve of mine is when people think the first amendment protects them from criticism of the things they say. It does not. It also doesn't protect you from censure by private parties.

I always find it amusing when someone says something stupid, then, when people point out how stupid it is, they cry for their "1st Amendment" rights. That's not how that works.

A little pet peeve of mine is when people think the first amendment protects them from criticism of the things they say. It does not. It also doesn't protect you from censure by private parties.

I always find it amusing when someone says something stupid, then, when people point out how stupid it is, they cry for their "1st Amendment" rights. That's not how that works.

Not only that, but the 1st Amendment only protects you from government interference.

EDIT: Apologies in advance for the OT. Sorry!

I agree, The right applies to everyone equally.
But... who said something stupid??? maybe it was just their opinion;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not only that, but the 1st Amendment only protects you from government interference.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dangers-hops-your-pets-108935/

You are either just complaining for the sake of it, or you have a very limited ability to travel beyond the BMC liquor store around the corner....I suspect it's the former, since you can be at one of the best beer retailers in the midwest in less then an hour by car, or less then 2 hours by public transport.

I would happily drive a hour if it would get me access to some of those great midwest beers. Of course I would be buying a trunkful and speeding home to get my first taste.

This is hilarious. 2 weeks and over 200 posts later and we're still arguing over personal tastes. A lot of people like hoppy beers, some don't. That's all there is too it.

Can we freshen up this debate and switch to arguing over which is better, blondes, brunettes, or redheads?

This is hilarious. 2 weeks and over 200 posts later and we're still arguing over personal tastes. A lot of people like hoppy beers, some don't. That's all there is too it.

Can we freshen up this debate and switch to arguing over which is better, blondes, brunettes, or redheads?

That would be foolish and pointless. Everyone knows that redheads are best!

I agree, The right applies to everyone equally.
But... who said something stupid??? maybe it was just their opinion;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dangers-hops-your-pets-108935/

Before I answer that loaded question, I'll just refer you back to my original post declaration that it was OT banter. Therefore the answer is, I wasn't talking about anybody in this thread, even though I virtually guarantee you there have been plenty of stupid things said. :)

I'm not a fan of IPA's either. They're everywhere in Minneapolis, most taprooms have at least 2 or 3 different IPAs. Double or Imperial IPAs are becoming more common. I'm definitely in the minority of non-hop heads here. I think of hops as a seasoning, adding flavor to the beer, but I don't want it to dominate everything else.

Calling BS on this since I live in mpls. Most "tap rooms" have at most 1 or 2 IPA's on tap. (By tap room I must assume you are referring to local brewery with beer on tap and not just an every day bar). Give some examples to back this up: Surly usually has Furious on tap as their ONLY hoppy beer, Fulton has ONLY Sweet Child Of Vine that's hoppy, Lucid has only one. This list can go on and on. And how can you say imperial or IIPA's are the fad in this city? Only Surly makes one that I'm aware of and it's only available seasonally.

Do most bars serve 2 or 3 IPAs? Yes, absolutely. But they ALSO serve 8-10 other beers on tap or in the bottle so it's not like you don't have other choices!

What I think is going on more often than not is people seeing what they want to see. For my taste I don't see nearly enough IPA or IIPA choices available. I'd LOVE to sit at the bar where more than 50% of the beer they served falls into that category. But that really is never the case around here or anywhere else I've traveled. Might be the case in your neck of the woods, and if you don't like IPA that's no fun. I can only speak from my own experience. If every bar around here served 90% porter or stout I wouldn't go out much. But I don't buy that this is the case with IPA in any part of the country. They are just the most visible and talked about beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm perfectly fine with a few IPAS on tap at local bars. But what the hell is up with the American/Mexican Lager fad? Seems like there are four or five at every bar around here. Seems like it's always Coors, Miller, Bud Light, Corona, or some nasty crap. Can't we focus on the real problems here?

For my taste I don't see nearly enough IPA or IIPA choices available. I'd LOVE to sit at the bar where more than 50% of the beer they served falls into that category. But that really is never the case around here or anywhere else I've traveled.

Come to San Diego, my friend. The hops are abundant and it's not cold as ****e either!

You could always come to Houston. None of our breweries put out a great IPA. A couple of good ones, but not any great ones.

No label in Katy has a great IPA called 11 amp IPA. But it is all about the tastes. That being said IPA are popular cuz they taste awesome. Stouts are popular cuz they taste awesome. Hell beer is popular cuz it tastes awesome.
:mug:

My boss just came back after a week in Portland working.

He says that Portland is craft beer central...but he said it's IPA everywhere, it was ridiculous. He likes IPA, but he said, you've had one, you've had em all, he's more of a macro guy.

Calling BS on this since I live in mpls. Most "tap rooms" have at most 1 or 2 IPA's on tap. (By tap room I must assume you are referring to local brewery with beer on tap and not just an every day bar). Give some examples to back this up: Surly usually has Furious on tap as their ONLY hoppy beer, Fulton has ONLY Sweet Child Of Vine that's hoppy, Lucid has only one. This list can go on and on. And how can you say imperial or IIPA's are the fad in this city? Only Surly makes one that I'm aware of and it's only available seasonally.

Do most bars serve 2 or 3 IPAs? Yes, absolutely. But they ALSO serve 8-10 other beers on tap or in the bottle so it's not like you don't have other choices!

What I think is going on more often than not is people seeing what they want to see. For my taste I don't see nearly enough IPA or IIPA choices available. I'd LOVE to sit at the bar where more than 50% of the beer they served falls into that category. But that really is never the case around here or anywhere else I've traveled. Might be the case in your neck of the woods, and if you don't like IPA that's no fun. I can only speak from my own experience. If every bar around here served 90% porter or stout I wouldn't go out much. But I don't buy that this is the case with IPA in any part of the country. They are just the most visible and talked about beers.

Come west for a bit, you will have your fill of IPA/IIPA/IIIPAs, can't swing a dead cat without knocking 4 or 5 off the shelf.

Come west for a bit, you will have your fill of IPA/IIPA/IIIPAs, can't swing a dead cat without knocking 4 or 5 off the shelf.

Although we do have LOTS of hop-bombs out here, the great thing is that it's still not a majority of beer. And with the ridiculous number of breweries just in SoCal, that means many hundreds of available non-hoppy beers.

Some people enjoy being part of a contrarian minority, I think that's the main point of this thread. Also, I don't know about you, but I couldn't care less what my local bars offered. I'm a homebrewer and I don't pay for commercial beer that often. I brew what I want to drink.

I think this thread is more suited for Beer Advocate. This is a homebrewing themed website. If you're that upset about what local bars and bottle shops offer, then brew something that you like.

I do brew what I like! But every time I bring a sixer of my Homebrewed IPA to Applebee's they get really pissed....

Damn it! Now I have to clean the morning coffee out of my keyboard.

Back on topic...I've been away for a year so my observations may be more anecdotal, but as someone mentioned above, go west and you can't swing a cat in a pub without knocking a row of IPAs off the shelf. They're everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love IPAs, but I also love a good porter, stout, sour, etc... A lot depends upon where you go and what the owner likes. If the pub owner likes his IPAs and they sell well, you'll see lots of IPAs. If that's all you see on tap, educate the tender or owner.

On the east coast as I was flying out, IPAs were much less common (in my limited time to drink), so I suspect there's a lot of regional variation to it.

Do you need to try something because a beer expert says you should? Absolutely not. Drink what you like because that's what you like. On the other hand, recognize that an expert/judge may have a more experienced palate than you do and so drinking something new may be a good thing. If you never try anything new you won't find anything new that you like (and we'd all still be drinking BMC). If you want to become that expert then even if you don't like it (a style), you need to at least appreciate it for what it is (which means you had to drink it).

Drink what you like, but don't knock the others just because you don't like it; someone else does.

I drank heineken, out of the can, last night. I had 2. I enjoyed both.:p

I think I puked a little in my mouth.... Oh no that was the heineken from a can :cross:

Epic brewing: Escape to Colorado

That's a great IPA that I think even an "IPA hater," would love.

Very smooth bitterness, you get the grapefruit... They use mosaic hops. It's fantastic.

It wont make your face pucker, you'll be too busy smiling.

I should get paid to make up slogans!

I don't think it is just a fad. IPA's are here to stay.

I think the problem is with people thinking craft beer = IPA

It makes the selection of great styles are limited to what people will buy.
I love Belgians, Saisons, Wild ales and other styles more difficult to find.

IPAs are definitely here to stay and a Classic American beer, but good doesn't just have to mean hoppy.

I don't think it is just a fad. IPA's are here to stay.

Everything is a fad. Just look at the history of beer production/consumption in the US to see that. IPAs will have their day and then die back to a reasonable exposure level. Not saying they're bad at all, but nothing lasts forever.

Cheers,
--
Don

Latest posts

Back