What's up "Wit" this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondacker

Reaction score
Well, I did Brad Smith's Wit recipe;
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.2 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

60 min Mash In Add 11.25 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 6.30 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Mash was a bit cool @152-deg
The Mash out was good @168-deg

I boiled for 60-min.
I got a post boil gravity of 1.035.
The volume was about 6 gallons. (I miss judged pre boil volume, I now have Bobby M's Sight glass.)
I think I had over 7-gal, pre boil.

I made a starter, and pitched about 4-cups.
Fermenting started quickly, with krausen blowing out of my 6.5-gal carboy.

The recipe said to rack to secondary after 4-days, I did this.
Gravity was at 1.030
Here's where I'm confused;
Fermenting started again, to the point where I have a thick head of Krausen, blowing out of the airlock. Obviously, I should have kept it in the primary. It's still cranking away, with a good head of krausen, and airlock activity.
Should I re-rack to a tertiary fermentor, or leave alone?
I won't get to bottle for another week.
Will it be OK to let it ride?

Any suggestions as to why this occurred?

Thanks
:mug:

Was krausen still blowing out of the primary when you transferred to the secondary? It may not have been ready to transfer.

Was krausen still blowing out of the primary when you transferred to the secondary? It may not have been ready to transfer.
Wasn't blowing, but hadn't fallen back into the liquid, as I had seen in other brews. I'm pretty sure I messed up.
Just wondering how to proceed.

I'd leave it alone and let it set on the remaining yeast till you are good and sure it's completely done. If it finishes too high and still tastes sweet you can pitch a pack of US-05 into it to dry it out with almost no detectable flavor impact from that yeast. Leave it for a few days after terminal gravity to clean up.

In my limited experience with WLP400, it really is a slow-working yeast. The wit shanecb and I brewed took an exceedingly long time to finish fermenting(maybe he can chime in with the exact time since he watched over it). And considering you were at 1030 when you racked, your yeast would've had to have died off to just stop fermenting when so many sugars were still available.

We're actually fermenting another wit at the moment(with 400), and it's hitting 3 1/2 days since we brewed it. Right now it's at 69 degrees and fermenting at a solid pace(a bubble through the airlock about once per second). We made a starter as well, but fermentation never got so vigorous as to cause any blow off. What temp. are you fermenting at? Also, I've seen some people suggest rousing the yeast when you're brewing with WLP400, so if your fermentation seemed finished by the time you racked, perhaps you just needed to rouse it? Did you rack off much yeast?

Considering your fermentation sounds pretty solid right now, I don't think I'd worry about racking again until it's finished. And really, even then, I'd think you'd only need to rack the day you wanted to bottle.

Back