What's the worst homebrewing SMELL?!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a Wisconsin alum (check the avatar) I hate those guys too. :mug:

To me, you guys are no better than them ;) . Them badgers have spoiled plenty for us too. Basically the hate comes from the fact that you guys and both teams up north are the only ones that pose a threat. I'm sure we can still be friends... just not during football season.

Worst smelling things that I have smelt, fans of that team up north and badger fans. Sorry I couldn't resist lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I once left my spent grains in the trash can for a week. The enzymes or something made it smell exactly like vomit, only ten times stronger. Then when I finally took the trash outside the bag sprung a leak and left a trail of concentrated essence of vomit down the front hallway of our apartment building. We tried cleaning it up and dousing everything with fabreeze but it wouldn't go away. The neighbors must have thought an army of hobos came in and puked in hall and left.

akillys - LMFAO

Everyone else thats wondering, I am a patrol deputy.

-Sapp

Much respect you and I are in a similar profession. I'm a 5th & 6th grade teacher at an intercity school lol

Cider fermentation, and even that isn't too offensive to my nostrils.

But my work involves visiting a lot of sewer treatment plants.

I used to be a turd herder (waste water sewer treatment plant operator)
When I came in hung over, my boss would make me empty the grit bin. I puked every time.
So it is beer related.

I once left my spent grains in the trash can for a week. The enzymes or something made it smell exactly like vomit, only ten times stronger. Then when I finally took the trash outside the bag sprung a leak and left a trail of concentrated essence of vomit down the front hallway of our apartment building. We tried cleaning it up and dousing everything with fabreeze but it wouldn't go away. The neighbors must have thought an army of hobos came in and puked in hall and left.

The army of hobos thing killed me. I wonder if they would look like zombies too?

Sure does. The first time I smelled 1056 smack pack on thought the yeast had gone bad or something

I haven't ran across any bad brewing related smells yet but I thought I'd add my worst ever smell to help sidetrack the OP's thread lol

A few years ago the venue that I was working at did some renovations in one of the kitchens. That particular kitchen was closed for 3 months during the summer. Being that it was closed there was no need for any of us kitchen staff to go there.

One of the first things that the contractors did was to unplug the stand-up double door freezer that was in the back room. It was full of steak, shrimps and chicken. When we came to re-open the kitchen after renovations, we stumbled onto a dead rotting chunk of ex-animal matter that was just wriggling with maggots. I puked four times that day and offered to puke countless more times!!!

We ended up throwing out the freezer and most of the things in the dry storage room.

This is going to sound weird, but I cannot stand the smell when steeping grains/the smell of malt extract before hops are added.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Alright since everyone is complaining about week old spent grains. I am about to make the jump to all grain in the next few weeks. How well do the spent grains compost? I have heard of using them for rabbit/chicken feed but my wife is a gardener so why not help her out.

I would bet they compost pretty well, however you are going to have to deal with the smell when you go out to turn your compost pile...

I would bet they compost pretty well, however you are going to have to deal with the smell when you go out to turn your compost pile...

She has a compost tumbler. Walk up and spin it a couple times and run away. That thing will make 50lbs of compost in about 2 weeks.

Let me tell you that I've been in some pretty smelly situations ..... However not brew related. Those have sweet smell of malty hoppy goodness.
Try the smell of dead body for a week in a 90+ degree apartment...... Talk about knock you down smell..... Commence vomiting

What if the dead guy had just finished filling a trub- and hop-laden carboy with oxyclean before dying?

What if the dead guy had just finished filling a trub- and hop-laden carboy with oxyclean before dying?

Omg this thread has taken on a life of its own...... For the record I'm a firefighter/ paramedic........ And sure does give one a unique perspective of life and humanity...

But yeah if "she" was mashing out and left her grains too oh ....... Yack!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My pregnant wife would say the smell of liquid yeast is the worst. She can't even be in the room with an open package.

I have noted the spent grains that smell like a over-eager corpse. Just to be original though. My buddy gave me his old homebrew equipment and it had a small bag of non-nitrogen flushed hops in there. I wanted to open them to see how they were. The smell was like rotting hops x100 and made me gag from just 1 oz. I couldn't drink any IPA or even go near hops for a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back