What's the highest abv beer you've used slurry from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I exclusively make high gravity beers and I'm low on yeast and and money for a while so I'd like to harvest my yeast cakes and use them in a starter. Perhaps even rinse and split them into empty vials and save for the future. I have a 9%abv red ale fermented with Nottingham and a 7% red ale fermented with s04. Anybody have success harvesting from high abv yeast cakes?

Here is another option. I will cost a little but you get good clean yeast, and a big supply of it. You will get healthier yeast than harvesting from a high abv beer.

Buy a pack of yeast and make a big starter. Then divide it up into several jars. Then when you need yeast grab one of those jars and make a fresh starter. When you get to the last jar, make a big starter and divide that up again for 5-6 more jars. This gives you an almost endless supply of yeast for the cost of a pack.

I usually make a 1500- 2000ml starter. It yeilds 5-6 jars with enough yeast to use in the next starter. I just did this a few days ago. Works great

Latest posts

Back