What's the "crappy" part of a crappy regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
I've got a crappy "china special" double product regulator from OntarioBeerKegs that's SO bad they no longer sell or support the thing -- it's inconsistent, the low pressure gauges wobble and go all over the place, carbonation is impossible to predict, etc. I ended up getting a good quality, albeit old, single product reg on Craigslist that I'm using for the moment.

I'm realizing that I have the potential of frankensteining all of these bits together into a triple product regulator, if I can pin down the "crappy" element. What's the suspect, would you think? The low pressure gauge or the regulator body itself? If I could, for example, simply put new low pressure gauges on and connect 'em all together, it would be great, but is it that simple?

i've never taken one a part, gauges on yours would be easy if you suspect thats the issue. i've always seemed to notice cheapos are more touchy with adjusting pressure - which i think would be caused by either the spring rate inside (too stiff).

I'm having a very similar issue, though I was chalking it up to my own inexperience. I'm not sure what to expect from a regulator.

When adjusting, are you usually able to instantly (within a few seconds) ascertain what the pressure is, and should it stay there regardless of whether you've opened the door a few too many times that night, or made other adjustments, or changed the temperature?

What if there's a precarbed commercial keg in the mix?

I've been adjusting my regulator constantly over the past 10 days trying to get a consistent 10psi. I suspect i just need to leave everything alone, but whenever i do that the pressure seems to skyrocket. I'm getting foamy pours in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back