What's that smell coming from my freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egravy81

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built a dual stage temp controller a few weeks ago and have been trolling local ads for used chest freezers. After striking out many times with sellers who wanted too much or haul-away ads that I couldn't take advantage of because I was at work, I found a 15 cu ft freezer for $65.

My wife and I went to pick it up this evening and holy hoarders - the house was a disaster zone. Apparently the owner was about to be evicted after foreclosure so the mess was not surprising.

Thankfully the owner's kid and his friend loaded the freezer into my car for me. At this point, I figured I would have an hour of cleaning and sanitizing before I could get the temp controller hooked up to start testing temps, calibrating the temp controller, etc.

About two blocks from the pickup point my wife and I noticed a horrible smell. She said, "It smells like a dead animal."

Now I'm starting to worry.

We unloaded the freezer at home and I wiped off the outside - no problem. Then I noticed a little sparkle of tinsel in the compressor compartment...

After unscrewing the bolts I removed the cover and bam! The fetid smell of mice feces hit me like a slap in the face. Sure enough, about a dozen of the little buggers had nested in the place and died.

After donning rubber gloves and cleaning out as much poop and nesting material as I could, I am left with a compartment that has years of caked on grease and stank.

Here's my question: does anyone see any harm in me cleaning this area out with bleach and water? I am thinking that as long as I let the unit dry completely it should be ok but before I turn a bargain into a useless patio ornament I'd like to be sure.

use a spray bottle with whatever cleaner you use to avoid wetting whatever electrics you have back there, that smell will eventually go away.

Latest posts

Back