What's growing on my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidLightning

Reaction score
I made a 1 gallon experimental batch of cider from some Trader Joe's Unfiltered Apple Juice and S-04 yeast in the fall. It's been sitting in a temp-controlled mini-fridge aging at 55F for the past few months and I pulled it out tonight thinking I might prime and bottle it finally.

Underneath the stopper and airlock, however was whatever this is:

IMAG0399-1.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

I'm imagining it's some sort of bacteria or mold, but anyone have any ideas? Or know if it's safe to try and remove this to just use what's under it (which is all clear, by the by, this is just sitting at the top in the mouth of the carboy)?

Thanks,

–Chris

Ok...THAT is one of the coolest homebrew pics I've ever seen! I'm not sayin' it looks 'good' ...but it's cool! Is that a Care Bear down in there?

Those whisps coming off of the center make me think it's got a little funk to it. Does it have a smell to it?

Ha! I didn't notice the face until you mentioned it. Weird, maybe it's possessed.

Smells a little sour, but not overwhelming or out of character for cider. Behind that there's a faint scent that reminds me of some antibiotics I had to take when I had scarlet fever as a kid, which makes me think it's a mold.

Latest posts

Back