What's everyone's favorite oxygen pump/stone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm not quite ready to have oxygen tanks around my house, but I would like to do a better job of oxygenating wort besides pouring and splashing. I'm getting into big beer and it just makes sense.

I've listened to a fair amount of podcasts where aquarium pumps were used. I'm curious what everyone likes. I'm sure they're not all created equal.

I use a stone I got with my equipment (I think a .5 micron?). Those are around $10-15 depending on where you get it from.

Then I bought an aquarium pump (5-20 gallon) at Walmart for like $6. Works great.

I've followed recommendations to run it for 5 minutes if you're diffusing with air. 1 minute if coming from an O2 tank. For me, air will work just fine.

IMO it's a waste to use anything other than Oxygen and a diffusing stone.

When using plain air, splashing and using an aquarium pump will allow you to achieve the same level of oxygen saturation(8ppm). To get above that level you need to use a pure O2 set up.

My advice would be to continue using the splash/agitation method until you are ready to move to O2. Aquarium pumps would just be a waste of money, especially so if it's an intermediary step to O2.

I use a stone I got with my equipment (I think a .5 micron?). Those are around $10-15 depending on where you get it from.

Then I bought an aquarium pump (5-20 gallon) at Walmart for like $6. Works great.

I've followed recommendations to run it for 5 minutes if you're diffusing with air. 1 minute if coming from an O2 tank. For me, air will work just fine.

Oxygenating wort is far more complicated than "1 min". Also, through my experience 1 minute would not properly oxygenate wort, even a very low gravity one.

The amount of oxygen needed is a function of volume of wort, OG of wort, flow rate of O2, and size of the stone.

I use a medical regulator like this http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGEN-REGULATOR-FOR-WELDING-TANK-P3476C106.aspx

For average gravity(1.050's) 5.5 gallon batches I run 1/2 LPM for 3-4 minutes.

The good news is that you are way better off adding too much oxygen, most excess oxygen will dissipate before the yeast start replicating.

When using plain air, splashing and using an aquarium pump will allow you to achieve the same level of oxygen saturation(8ppm). To get above that level you need to use a pure O2 set up.
Someone did a pretty good study on this and you are technically correct. It's still going to take 15 minutes or so of shaking/sloshing to get that level. If you have a stone and pump you can turn it on and go do something else like clean up while waiting for that to happen.

"A waste" is rather a strong way to phrase it ... might not work for you but good information + personal preference makes us all choose slightly different path and that's what makes this fun.

That's a fair point for ease of use, I was speaking from the perspective of making better beer.

Awesome. Agreed!

so OP, sounds like we've come to a conclusion for you.

-Pump and Diffusion stone for ~$15 will be much easier than shaking it like you currently are, but are limited to around 8ppm oxygen using only air.

-If you really want to do it the best way as far as quality is concerned, replace the pump with an O2 tank and regulator. That looks like it would be around $100 if my estimates are correct?

I use an oxygenation kit I got from my LHBS for $50.00 with a $10 O2 tank I got from Lowes. So about $60 total.

oh.... nice! I didn't realize it was that cheap. That's not bad... I was picturing more like a CO2 tank, but apparently oxygen is much more common than co2.

oh.... nice! I didn't realize it was that cheap. That's not bad... I was picturing more like a CO2 tank, but apparently oxygen is much more common than co2.

Those little O2 tanks from Lowe's/HD/HW store don't have a real lot of O2 in them, about 1.4 oz. Enough for maybe 10-20 batches? O2 is not available in liquid form that way, only as compressed gas.

those aquarium pumps are dead last in efficiency as far as getting O2 in the wort. 5 min with a pump is equal to 40 seconds of shaking to get 8 ppm in a average gravity wort according to wyeast and other yeast experts.

This ^^ stone is exactly what I've started using recently, but mine is the William's kit that comes with a regulator and tubing for $55. It has made a noticeable difference in my fermentations. The BernzOmatic O2 tank from HD is very compact and light.

Back