What yeast gives the most Belgian flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
What yeast have you found to give the strongest / most Belgian flavor?

How about pitch rate? I'll be putting 11 gallons of 1.055 wert mashed at 150F into a 15 gallon fermenter. Is a single one month old smack pack good enough? I've read a lot of the flavor (esters? phenols?) arise during the growth phase.

And finally temperature. What fermentation profile have you found effective? I have temperature control in my ferm chamber so can control that.

(I posted a similar question in the recipe section.)

Thanks!

It depends on what you're looking for. Belgian yeast strains are very idiosyncratic and very different from normal English or German strains. I think the most commonly used strains are the Chimay strain (WY1214) and the Westmalle strain (WY3787), both of which provide a very unique bouquet of stone fruit. Alternatively there are more aggressive strains such as the Duvel strain (WY1388), which has a spicy kick and a strong leathery phenolic component, or the DuPont strain (WY3724), which has a tart complex and a citrusy nose. And if those ones don't picque your interest, there are other commercial strains from Achouffe, Hoegaarden, Blaugies, Rodenbach, Rochefort, Unibroue, etc etc etc. The variety of Belgian strains available is incredible.

Effective temperature ranges are usually within 64-75F, but I have taken a few Belgians as high as 85F without issue. Typically i like to let them free rise and ramp up temperature if they still need to finish.

3711 at 75-80F...nuf said.

Certainly easy and delicious, but not what I'd consider the strongest Belgian character. Not to mention this is a French Saison yeast so isn't technically a Belgian flavor (though close enough in most cases).

I've used 3711 for a few saisons. While I enjoy it for that style it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I've yet to get a Belgian to come out with that strong characteristic yeast flavor, which is why I'm looking for recommendations.

For BDSA's I like 3787. I find 1214 a little too fruity, but if you want that it is a good choice. For a tripel I like 1388.

How many threads are you going to start on this topic? I've seen at least 3. The same people see them.

Rochefort is my favorite commercial Belgian beer, so I use 1762 (WLP540) in any Belgian dubbel or quad I brew. Love it, but it might not be the "most Belgian flavor" yeast, just the best XD.

Thata a pretty low gravity belgian, but I think you are really underpitching your yeast.

Back