What would you do with this wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
I have a potential to pick up 5.5 gallons of unfermented wort, and then after fermentation and packaging, to submit it for judging.

Grain Bill
50% 2 row
30% Wheat
20% Rye

Boil Hops
Summit at 60 minutes
Cascade at flameout.

Targets
1.050 OG
20 IBU

What would you do with/to this wort?

here are the rules to follow
You are free to supplement the wort with other ingredients, including any pre or post fermentation additions such as:
fruit, juice, water, sugar, spices, wild yeast, dry hops, etc…
Reheating the wort is allowed, but no more base malt or malt extract can be added. Reheating the wort is allowed for the following reasons only:
add more post-mash ingredients such as:
steeping specialty malts, spices/special ingredients, boil hops, etc…
increase the gravity or increase IBU

I like the simplicity and love rye.

Never having done anything other than dry-hop, the thought is provoking.

I might be inclined to boil an additional 10 min for the sake of adding corriander and lemon peel then dry hop with amarillo and sorachi ace.

If you really want to mess with the judges, sour and fruit it.

Personally, I would probably add some sugar to dry it out, then make a rye saison out of it. Maybe add some seeds of paradise and use a spicey yeast.

If you really want to mess with the judges, sour and fruit it.

Personally, I would probably add some sugar to dry it out, then make a rye saison out of it. Maybe add some seeds of paradise and use a spicey yeast.

LOL, everyone has their entries in and you delay the judging by 6 months. Perfect, would sabotage any attempts at an IPA too

Saison it. That grain bill is basically exactly what I do for most of my saisons. I'd add 1lb of cane sugar though. I like to experiment with blending strains. Could give that a shot.

ANy idea on the mash temp?

no idea on the mash temp. I could try saison, I'd have to rig things up for heating up the fermenter, but that's doable.
Judging is tentatively scheduled for 8 weeks after the big brew day. Unfortunately, I didn't hit the sign up to get one of the 50 "guaranteed" spots, so I'm wait-listed behind about a dozen people. I'll still show up with a sanitized bucket just in case.

Heat it up to boiling, add a little sugar, turn off the flame, throw lots of Galaxy, Mosaic, & Citra in it. Dry-hop with more Mosaic & some Nelson.

I'm going to keep watching this thread until may 7th big brew day. the LHBS is only 2 blocks from the brewday location, so I should be able to pick up almost anything I might need.

LOL, everyone has their entries in and you delay the judging by 6 months. Perfect, would sabotage any attempts at an IPA too

Saison it. That grain bill is basically exactly what I do for most of my saisons. I'd add 1lb of cane sugar though. I like to experiment with blending strains. Could give that a shot.

ANy idea on the mash temp?

Nah, if you were going to sour it, you could quick sour it. I think it would be really unexpected. Then again, I came up with it, so maybe not.

Latest posts

Back