What would you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
This is what I have in my inventory and looking to brew another 5 or 6 gallon batch. What would you brew? I can of course run over to the hbs for more ingredients.

Capture.PNG

It looks like you have mostly base malts there, which would point toward a light beer. And you've got a bunch of Belgian ingredients. Plus it's summer, when saison yeasts do very well. So it seems to me like the clear choice would be a simple and classic saison based on the pils and Vienna, with a dash of caramunich for depth of flavor if you want. Shouldn't need any sugar if you use 3711, which attenuates like crazy. Hop with Hallertauer.

You can use the 3711 to make other stuff too with the pils and pale, such as dubbel, tripel, a Duvel clone, etc. But it will attenuate a ton, so you have to be careful.

As for the Irish and American ale yeasts, you don't have any British Isles or American base malts (plus you need temperature good control this time of year).

You could try a Vienna-ish ale:

9 lbs. Vienna malt
0.5 lbs. CaraMunich
0.5 oz. Willamette - 60 minute boil
1.0 oz. Hallertau - 60 minute boil
American ale yeast

OG 1050, FG 1013, IBU 20, SRM 9. It's not quite according to Hoyle, but I think that it would work for a late summer beer.

You could then brew an English IPA/American PA:

6 lbs. Pale 2-row
5 lbs. Vienna
1.5 oz. Citra FWH
Irish ale yeast

OG 1059, FG 1015, IBU 43, SRM 6. My local brewpub has something along this line (but Cascade hopped).

Hop-bursted Farmhouse IPA
8# Pale malt
3# Pils
.5# caramunich
1oz citra 20min
2oz citra 10min
4oz citra FO
3oz citra DH

MrOH said:
Hop-bursted Farmhouse IPA
8# Pale malt
3# Pils
.5# caramunich
1oz citra 20min
2oz citra 10min
4oz citra FO
3oz citra DH

I brewed today and pretty much did this, although went with less hops and maybe more like a French saison.

On to thinking about my next brew. I'm thinking a German beer of sorts. An ale though and not a lager. I have the kolsh malt. I'm thinking I'll have to get some hops and yeast. Maybe adjuncts. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back