What will this make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6midgets

Big & Tall Brewing
Reaction score
Where I live in Alabama the nearest homebrew shop is 60+ miles from me so I order all of my ingredients from the internet. I heard a rumor that a homebrew shop opened up about 15 miles from me so I went to check it out. This "homebrew shop" is a vape store that sells a very small selection of equipment and malt. I had to make a purchase to show my support so I bought 10lbs of 2-row, 1lb of brown malt, and 1lb of crystal malt 60. My question is what style of beer will this grain bill most likely resemble? Since I order all my ingredients I order in bulk so I have plenty of different varieties of hops. I also have some English Ale yeast and some California Ale yeast.

You got yourself grains for a porter. A little porter with only brown malt and C-60, but still...

Try to run thru an online calculator.

You won't get much roast from the 1 pound of brown malt- less than chocolate malt- so I'd call it an ESB or English brown. English hops and yeast, especially some late hops of EKGs, and it sounds wonderful!

You won't get much roast from the 1 pound of brown malt- less than chocolate malt- so I'd call it an ESB or English brown. English hops and yeast, especially some late hops of EKGs, and it sounds wonderful!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I have some sorghum syrup that I've been hoarding. I'm thinking I might add it in the boil.

looks pretty flandersish if you want to sour it up.

This basic recipe could go a couple different directions depending on your hopping and choice of yeast. For a five gallon batch the gravity and ABV potential would put you into a higher ABV potential.
Belgian dubbel, strong ale....but that depends on whether you are brewing to style. Ingredients will dictate the style if that's your choice.
The closest US style would be very close to a strong American amber ale. If you don't want high alpha hops, give Fuggles, Willamette, or Styrian Goldings a whirl.

So I used 1oz NB @ 60, 2oz GR Perle @ 30, 16oz of sorghum syrup @ 30, 16oz sorghum syrup @ 10 and ended up with a gravity of 1.100. I oxygenated with pure o2 for 2 minutes and pitched 2 packs of safale-s04. I've never brewed a beer this big before. I was expecting a OG of 1.061. I used molasses in the recipe in beersmith because they don't have sorghum as an option. I guess it has more sugar

Day 2 of fermentation I had to install a blow off tube. This fermentation is really bubbling. I guess this "brown ale" has turned into a barleywine. I guess I need to make plans for aging this one.

Never have brewed with Sorghum, some searching shows maybe a slight sour edge. I'm guessing this will need to age, at least a little while.

Never have brewed with Sorghum, some searching shows maybe a slight sour edge. I'm guessing this will need to age, at least a little while.

Yeah I've seen that about sorghum grain which is what people make gluten free beer with. I have found anything about use sorghum syrup.

I'm thinking that I might need to add some complexity to this beer. what do you think about toasted coconut in the secondary? What other toasted ingredients could I add? Has anybody ever added toasted oats in the secondary?

Update on this one. I checked the gravity today and it measured 1.025. I just transferred a milk Porter to the keg and had a good cake of imperial darkness left over so I decided to rack over to it. I ran pure oxygen for 2 minutes after I racked it over. It tasted like really strong ESB. We'll see what happens. I'm thinking about getting a barrel to age it in. What do y'all think?

Looks like sorgham extract has 37 ppg. What was your batch size? At 5 gals even it looks like you'd need like 100% efficiency to get 1.100 so I don't think that reading is possible. Are you sure that last syrup addition was well mixed when you measured?

I'll have to check my recipe but I'm pretty sure the last syrup addition was done with 10 minutes left in the boil. It is a 5 gallon batch.

Back