What will happen when the boil time is doubled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babski

Reaction score
I screwed up and didn't read all of the instructions beforehand. I did a partial ash cream ale it called for a 30 minute boil but I added too much water to my boil kettle and had to double the boil time. It looks wicked dark for a cream ale what can I expect in a couple of weeks when I keg it? What should I do next te?

Boiling for 60 minutes is more the norm than 30 minutes...I think you will be absolutely fine! Likely it looks darker because it is in a large fermenter or kettle...and will likely look much different in the glass...cheers and RDWHAHB, all will be fine IMHO.

I screwed up and didn't read all of the instructions beforehand. I did a partial ash cream ale it called for a 30 minute boil but I added too much water to my boil kettle and had to double the boil time. It looks wicked dark for a cream ale what can I expect in a couple of weeks when I keg it? What should I do next te?

Longer boils concentrate color (if extract), hop bitterness, and ups your gravity (by boiling off water). You basically described what happens when you double the boil time.

Back