What was your first car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4496300001_large.jpg

4496300002_large.jpg

Awwwwww yeeeeeeaaahh!!

1961 Ford Falcon

3 in the tree. White with red interior. Total babe magnet. Not.

The red interior was pristine because the guy had taken out the rear and passenger seats for his St. Bernard to rest while travelling. The 6 cyclinder engine occupied only about a third of the engine compartment. Remember when engine compartments weren't completely packed with electronics and fuel emissions equipment?

1988 Hyundai Excel 4dr. 68hp from the factory. I couldn't get a speeding ticket if I had tried with that bad boy. Took me a mile just to get up to LIE speeds!

1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon. Drove it for a year before I was rear ended on the highway off ramp and it was ,of course, totaled. Next car was a 1996 Toyota Camry. I still drive it with over 250k miles and get about 24 combined mpg. Yeah, the upholstery has torn in 2 places, not all the windows work, I've replaced the AC compressor, radiator, and struts... But it's cheaper than a car payment thus far!

'79 Ford Fiesta. My Mom had a '78 and my Dad had an '80 they had just taken off the road. My Dad handed me a Chilton's for it and said "You know where the tools are, just make sure they get put back when you're done". Was nice having two parts cars for it. Drove that for quite a while. My parents sold/scrapped all three after I left for the Army.

Purchased my 1967 Z28 when I was 17 (1987) I drove it for a period and deiced in my infinite wisdom to take it apart. I still have it in pieces in my garage. I plan to put it back together with my son who is now 12. Not my original photo but pretty close.

67 Z 28.jpg

I had a few cars prior to this one that were given to me by my parents but the first car I purchased was an 84 Mustang SVO, back in the 90's. I took a few years and fully restored it. Ended up selling it when I got married in 2003.

Aug07_0113.jpg

Aug07_0116-1.jpg

1961 Ford Falcon

The red interior was pristine because the guy had taken out the rear and passenger seats for his St. Bernard to rest while travelling. The 6 cyclinder engine occupied only about a third of the engine compartment. Remember when engine compartments weren't completely packed with electronics and fuel emissions equipment?

:off:
What happened to the car? I know several people who had these and every one of them had to be scrapped when the frame rotted through.

My first was a 1984 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.5L 4 cyl engine. I don't know who decided to put an engine that small in a cherokee, but it was a bad idea.

My second car was a 1989 Subaru XT-6. That little car was a blast to drive, and it still is my favorite car I've owned. I still have some of the special steering fluid that it's strange "Cybrid" steering system needed in my garage somewhere.

1992 Mitsubishi Diamante. I inherited it in 2002 from my parents...until they asked for it back only to give it to my little bro (shafted!). So I went out and bought a new 2005 Mitsu Lancer.

1961 Ford Falcon

Nothing like working on a straight 6 and being able to climb in there with it if you need to.

My first was a 1984 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.5L 4 cyl engine. I don't know who decided to put an engine that small in a cherokee, but it was a bad idea.

I had an 87 4 runner with a 2.2L (?). Loved it, but underpowered new and even more so by the time it 200k. Nothing like getting flipped off by truckers while they passed going uphill.

My first car was a Gen 1 rx-7. Can't remember what year. I bought it when I was 15 to fix up and my mom (wisely, I'll now admit) made me sell it before I got my license.

:off:
What happened to the car? I know several people who had these and every one of them had to be scrapped when the frame rotted through.

In the Pacific Northwest, we typically don't have serious rust issues; the Mighty Falcon did me proud. Unfortunately, I decided I needed to upgrade from my $200 Falcon to a VW Scirocco; the Scirocco was affectionately known as Orange Thunder thanks to the exhaust system. Nice. ;)

Back to the topic! :)

1998 Ford Aerostar, my friends called it the Tank or the Shagg'n Wagon it was a beast, lasted 250,000 miles!

Hell yeah! Another person rockin' an Aerostar as their first car...haha.

You seriously cannot kill those things (minus the transmission on the later models). My dad's was running strong at 260k before some jackwagon pulled out in front of him.

My first car was a 79 Dodge Magnum with a 318. I ran that car hard all the time. It was perfect for cruising on friday and saturday nights. She finally needed more work than she worth and I sold her. I miss that Beast.

A 1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Broken grill, broken muffler, smelled like my grandfathers pipe and went 0 to 60 in about a minute. It was a great for attracting the ladies.:fro:

First car I owned was a 73 Fiat given to me from my dad.

First car I purchased was an 81 Camaro.

1949 Mercury 2 door coupe. Gas then was 0.39 / gal.

And it was brand new when you bought it. :D

The first car that I got to drive on a regular basis was my parent's 1973 Ford Pinto station wagon, green with woody siding. They bought it new in '73 and I got it in '76. The first car that I bought was a 1973 Volkswagen Beetle SEMI-AUTOMATIC. 3 speed, no clutch. You would accelerate through 1st gear, get the RPMs up, let off the gas, shift and do it again. It was a decent idea but I always described it as "Volkswagens experiment that failed" but I fell in love with that car. Over the years I've had my share of 'domestics' but there were always VWs peppered in. Two Super Beetles, two regular beetles, a Safari (Thing) and the car that I bought to teach my daughter to drive in was a beat up '73 Rag Top Beetle. She loved it when we first bought it but could not understand that a 23 year old "beater" would be somewhat temperamental. She named it Herbie The Hate Bug.

Hate Bug, LOL!

72 challenger
1970-1974-dodge-challenger-5.jpg

wow. Pahnurple. Sweet paint job all the same.

1989 Honda CRX HF.

The most efficient car I've ever owned and I wish I still had it as a daily driver because it got 65 MPG on the open highway and 50+ around town! Most motorcycles don't even get gas mileage like that!
1700 lbs
1.5L 8-valve that made 65 gerbil power with a 5 speed manual slushbox.

I remember filling it up for $7.50 back in 1998 and it would go 400+ miles on that!

attachment.php

I wanted one so bad. Guy at work has one he made a sleeper. Looks like hell and runs like the devil.

4496300001_large.jpg

4496300002_large.jpg

Awwwwww yeeeeeeaaahh!!

Is that fake spinner hubcaps? Gangsta.

My first car was a 79 Dodge Magnum with a 318. I ran that car hard all the time. It was perfect for cruising on friday and saturday nights. She finally needed more work than she worth and I sold her. I miss that Beast.

Had a 318 in an 83 Dodge truck. Ram tough.

1995 Isuzu Rodeo. Bought it off my brother in 2006 for 100 bucks, a guitar, and my Gamecube haha. Had it for 2 years before I bought my current car and sold it to my sister, car caught fire a few months later. Going out in a true badass fashion.

1980 Mercury Zephyr. bondo'd, primer camouflage, rusted POS. no radio, heater fan didn't work, muffler rusted out as well as the rest of the exhaust. the only saving grace was manual trans.

1979 Pontiac Sunbird. Mine was blue and didn't have hubcaps. The rest of the pic is fairly accurate.

530917976_0988f13d63.jpg

Love this car, I had a buddy the shoehorned a 400HP SB Chevy into one of these, 140 mhp with pedal to go! Great memories!

1991 BMW 318i.

Paid for it by working at K-mart in high school. Not that it was that expensive, but worth a pretty penny to a high schooler.

81 firebird. It was 10 years old when I got it. Spent all summer between my junior and senior year of highschool sanding it down and doing some body work, then took it to Earl Schieb and got the $99 paint special! Midnight blue LOL

72 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. 472 with a huge 4 barrel. 0-60 in about 30 seconds. 60-110 in about 4. Power everything. I wrecked it a few weeks after this pic was taken and blew the motor the following summer.

1742_10201024060032472_971376310_n.jpg

Oh, and I paid a friend of my parents $50 a week until I paid off the $500 price tag! Not like these damn kids today who have everything given to them (including mine). ****. Im an old man.

This was the first car I was given by my parents to drive. I drove the **** out of that thing.

Loved the car but it bled me dry - electrical problem after electrical problem.

Other annoyance - the hubcaps kept falling off. Would grab extra hubcaps whenever I saw them (must have cycled through 4 sets while I owned the car) Got to the point that when we saw another 200SX my friends would yell "donor car"!

Good times.

image-631677645.jpg
Mine was a 1990 LTD Crown Vic. I started saving when I was 15, our neighbor let me make interest free payments on it for 6 months and I paid it off a week before I turned 16. I drove it hard for almost a year, then it crapped out on me. I loved it so much I bought another one in college for a winter car.

1979 datsun 310 hatchback. Bought it for $300 in 1991....made it through Grateful Dead summer tour 1992. Great car...great memories!

Mine was a 1969 Pontiac Catalina. A hand me down from my parents when they bought a new car in 1978. 1st car I bought was a 1977 firebird formula, 400 4bbl 4 speed. Loved that car. I'll have to see if I can dig up a pic.

1948 Ford F-1 lowrider pickup, ran with the original flathead till I found a 429-PI in a wrecked cruiser. Wasn't pretty on the outside, pretty basic on the inside, but damn that thing could move.

1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza. Photo is close to mine, which was black with a tan interior. I had the 140hp engine with four carbs, and it was a four-speed manual transmission. Went quickly and got decent mileage. Traded it it on a new 1969 Volvo 142, but I always missed that Corvair!

glenn514:mug:

corvair-monza-1965-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back