What type of yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got 6 gallons of the following wort, intended to be a saison:

4.25 lb german pils
2.5 lb german wheat
1 lb oats
.75 lb caramunich
.5 flaked rye

Mashed at about 150, hopped with fuggle and EKG to about 20 ibu. I pitched it onto a cake of jester king yeast, and it has yet to take off, after about 36 hours at 71 degrees.

I'm considering pitching another yeast. I was considering Brett C and 3711, or wlp565 (dupont). Then I considered maybe an american wheat yeast. This was a last minute brew, and I just kinda threw some stuff together and wanted to experiment. I was shooting for a sour saison, but am open to any beer from this wort, really.

What yeast would you add, and why?

Thanks!

I wouldn't repitch until 3 whole days without activity. 36 hours on anything besides 1st gen yeast is not that uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think what you have here is a really nice saison base. I would definitely use a saison yeast if you're going for some good yeast character. However, if you've already pitched something, I'm not sure how much you'll get out of pitching more Sacch at this point.

If you brew this recipe again I have some suggestions for primary yeast. I have personally used Yeast Bay Saison Blend, Yeast Bay Wallonian Farmhouse, White Labs 565 and Wyeast 3711. They're all very good and will produce a lovely saison for you with a dry finish and a nice character :)

Not trying to highjack, but Fermented_Minds, when you used the Brett Blend, do you start with that, or pitch once in the secondary?

Not trying to highjack, but Fermented_Minds, when you used the Brett Blend, do you start with that, or pitch once in the secondary?

What Brett Blend are you referring to? Feel free to PM me and ask with respect to a specific blend so we avoid a threadjack :)

If it never takes off I'd go with 3711. I really enjoy that yeast.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

What Brett Blend are you referring to? Feel free to PM me and ask with respect to a specific blend so we avoid a threadjack :)

No worries about a threadjack, guys, I'd love to hear about the yeast bay stuff. I've been looking for opinions on their products.

I wouldn't repitch until 3 whole days without activity. 36 hours on anything besides 1st gen yeast is not that uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting. The thing that concerned me was:

1. My washing technique for the yeast cake. Very poor.
2. The original yeast was busting out at 12 hours.
3. The condition of the yeast cake - about 10 weeks old, sitting under beer at room temp.

I have some 565 I can hear bubbling away next to me right now!

I'm just getting ready to crash my first 565 beer. Fermented at 85 degrees plus. It tastes awesome so far. I was thinking 3711 for this beer since that stuff will ferment an old shoe.

Honestly I'm not a super big fan of the flavor profile of 3711, but figured it would kick off faster and easier than 565.

Back