What to throw on the grill after a long brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markvale5

Reaction score
So I have brew day this weekend and a buddy of mine is coming over to hangout while I brew. After brewing his wife is going to come over for a bbq. So after a long brew day what would you recommend throwing on the grill?

Some chicken leg quarters, marinated in extra light olive oil for an hour. Salt and pepper, skin side up. Away from direct heat, 400° for an hour. They take care of themselves. Relax and have a home brew.

I tend to go with a nice burger. Mix a little bit of A1 in with the meat, make the patty (1/2 lb), add salt and pepper, and cook to preference. Or hot dogs / brats, but you need to boil those in beer first, then toss on the grill to crisp them up a bit. Either way, it helps if you put a little butter on the buns then toast them on the grill away from direct heat.

Before I start brewing, I get a couple slabs of baby back ribs rubbed down, put em on a broiler pan, cover em with foil, and put em on the middle of the grill, with the two inside burners off and the two outside burners as low as they will go. Leave em on for four or five hours while brewing. Then throw some corn on the cob that's been soaked in water onto the grill, take the ribs off the pan and onto the grill, turn on the other two burners, low heat, and baste and flip every five minutes with a 50/50 blend of BBQ sauce and beer. 30 - 45 minutes later, heaven on a plate.

I think this weekend I am going to grill up some burgers after brewday. Mix them with a little pepper and garlic salt and throw them on the grill. Can't go wrong.

They all sound delicious! I have charcoal though...those ribs sound amazing though!

You could do a pork tenderloin. Not sure of an exact recipe but you could google one. I'd imagine you could cook it nicely on some charcoal within 2-3 hours.

Before I start brewing, I get a couple slabs of baby back ribs rubbed down, put em on a broiler pan, cover em with foil, and put em on the middle of the grill, with the two inside burners off and the two outside burners as low as they will go. Leave em on for four or five hours while brewing. Then throw some corn on the cob that's been soaked in water onto the grill, take the ribs off the pan and onto the grill, turn on the other two burners, low heat, and baste and flip every five minutes with a 50/50 blend of BBQ sauce and beer. 30 - 45 minutes later, heaven on a plate.

Sounds amazing, what are you rubbing with?

BBQ culture here is more throw on some sausages and drink too much, but I'm pretty keen to do better than that

Get a tri-tip steak, about 2.5 pounds, and a bag of applewood chips (homedepot has the chips.)

Rub tri-tip in simple rub of black pepper, salt, and galic powder (equal parts) up to 24 hours ahead.
Lay about 6 oz. of wood chips in a thin, 9"x9" square on top of some foil and wrap it in a square. The idea is to make a thin wood pack that will allow you to expose the wood to heat pretty evenly. Cut some small slits in one side of the foil to allow air in or out.
Fire up your grill to about 350, heat on one side. Throw on the wood chips in foil over direct heat. As soon as you can smell some smoke, throw the tri-tip on the other side, indirect heat. Let it go for about 45 minutes to smoke, then wrap the tri-tip in foil and let it ride until the meat reaches an internal temp of 130 (perfect medium rare).
Pull the meat, turn up the heat to 500+, toss the meat over the direct heat to sear, turn to get both sides.
Rest ten minutes.
Slice nice and thin, serving with your favorite summer sides.

(I serve it with a piquant salsa, corn chips, baked beans, and dank stout or black IPA.)

If you have a genuine smoker, adapt to your smoker. 6 oz. of wood is my "mild, I'm hear for the meat, not the smoke" level of smoking, it's an added flavor, like the rub. If you already have some wood chips or you want to throw down for some, I like a blend of applewood at about 2 parts with 1 part hickory a little better, but all hickory is too much for me--it's the chinook of smoking woods.)

Also, seriously, I was working hacks for smoking like the above until got an inexpensive electric smoker ($80, assembly required) for father's day and I couldn't be happier. I'm still working of the key elements, but do yourself a favor....

Get a tri-tip steak, about 2.5 pounds, and a bag of applewood chips (homedepot has the chips.)

Rub tri-tip in simple rub of black pepper, salt, and galic powder (equal parts) up to 24 hours ahead.
Lay about 6 oz. of wood chips in a thin, 9"x9" square on top of some foil and wrap it in a square. The idea is to make a thin wood pack that will allow you to expose the wood to heat pretty evenly. Cut some small slits in one side of the foil to allow air in or out.
Fire up your grill to about 350, heat on one side. Throw on the wood chips in foil over direct heat. As soon as you can smell some smoke, throw the tri-tip on the other side, indirect heat. Let it go for about 45 minutes to smoke, then wrap the tri-tip in foil and let it ride until the meat reaches an internal temp of 130 (perfect medium rare).
Pull the meat, turn up the heat to 500+, toss the meat over the direct heat to sear, turn to get both sides.
Rest ten minutes.
Slice nice and thin, serving with your favorite summer sides.

(I serve it with a piquant salsa, corn chips, baked beans, and dank stout or black IPA.)

If you have a genuine smoker, adapt to your smoker. 6 oz. of wood is my "mild, I'm hear for the meat, not the smoke" level of smoking, it's an added flavor, like the rub. If you already have some wood chips or you want to throw down for some, I like a blend of applewood at about 2 parts with 1 part hickory a little better, but all hickory is too much for me--it's the chinook of smoking woods.)

Also, seriously, I was working hacks for smoking like the above until got an inexpensive electric smoker ($80, assembly required) for father's day and I couldn't be happier. I'm still working of the key elements, but do yourself a favor....

I just told my wife I want to buy a smoker!

Double thick pork chops, custom cut at the butcher shop, brined about 12 hrs & smoked on the grill with indirect heat & hickory chips; brush 'em with dark sesame oil. Grilled taters brushed with olive oil & sprinkled with chopped fresh rosemary & coarse sea salt, corn on the cob slathered with butter (maybe cilantro butter?), some salad & some grilled pineapple & a scoop of vanilla or coconut ice cream for dessert. Nom, nom, nom...
Regards, GF.

I'm a charcoal-only guy and I do my ribs with a dry rub and then wrap in foil and bake them at 350 for an hour. Then, I put them on a hot grill - still in foil - one side up and then flip them. Cook each side for 15 minutes and then sauce them after removing them from foil for the final 15 minutes for a total of 45 minutes on the grill. Always enjoy them - doesn't take too long and it's easy.

Thick pieces of anything you want (steak, chicken, pork, lamb) seasoned and vacuum packed individually. Place in HLT while heating up strike water. Then bury in your mash and it acts as sous vide. After lautering, leave the meat resting in the hot grains. Once done brewing it'll just take a minute or so to remove from the vacuum packed bag and place over hot coals or skillet to get a bit of char on the surface and you're eating. I've done duck leg quarters, chicken, and lamb this way. All delightful.

I do some Skirt Steak rubbed with sea salt, some garlic and lemon. I let some asparagus marinate in the same mix. Put them in the grill for a few minutes. Also some Argentinian chorizo sausage. Awesome...

2015-04-09.jpg

Easiest BBQ pork ever:

- 6-8 lb Boston butt (anything smaller has too much dark meat. I prefer closer to 8)
- rub or salt & pepper, and place in crock pot (slow cooker)
- add vinegar base bbq sauce for some acid and flavor.
- cook on low for 6 hours or until tender.
- put on smoker for 30 min to finish with a fist of alder or hickory wood chips.
- hand pull using two forks to your favorite consistency and add your favorite BBQ sauce on the side.

Although I like to slow cook from beginning on the smoker, this allows me to get other things done without having to futz with the smoker all day.

I'd toss a pork butt on the smoker. My smoker is pretty self-maintained. I watch the temp remotely and occasionally close and open the vents if there are spikes in temp. If the charcoal is laid out right and the wood is not spread out past the center where the half chimney of hot coals are dumped, then the temp rarely goes all over the place for me. Weather clearly changes this a little though.

If you don't want to do a pork butt then chicken is easy. Offset cook just like @flars mentioned.

I'd toss a pork butt on the smoker. My smoker is pretty self-maintained. I watch the temp remotely and occasionally close and open the vents if there are spikes in temp. If the charcoal is laid out right and the wood is not spread out past the center where the half chimney of hot coals are dumped, then the temp rarely goes all over the place for me. Weather clearly changes this a little though.

If you don't want to do a pork butt then chicken is easy. Offset cook just like @flars mentioned.

I've been wanting to get a wifi temp probe, so I can monitor the grill with my phone, but I'd rather spend the money on brew equipment.

It seems my smoker does not like 250F without having to constantly adjust the air flow. I'm off doing something else and forget it too long and it gets too hot or starts going out. (Adult ADD onset I guess :) )

I think I've figured out why, but now too lazy after doing it the easy way. Only so many hours in a day.. :heavySigh:

Marinated flank steak cooked over lump charcoal and a bit of apple or pecan smoke for fajitas are always well received at mi casa and the meat cooks very quickly. I throw some corn rubbed in butter on the smoker beforehand which makes a nice side dish.

Get some fresh tortillas, sautéed onions and green peppers, salsa, sour cream, and mild shredded cheese and you are GTG. Use an embedded temp probe or take frequent measurements so you don't cook the steak much past medium and let it rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.

I've been wanting to get a wifi temp probe, so I can monitor the grill with my phone, but I'd rather spend the money on brew equipment.

It seems my smoker does not like 250F without having to constantly adjust the air flow. I'm off doing something else and forget it too long and it gets too hot or starts going out. (Adult ADD onset I guess :) )

I think I've figured out why, but now too lazy after doing it the easy way. Only so many hours in a day.. :heavySigh:

I didn't even go that fancy. I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I absolutely feel it was a worthwhile investment. The temp gauge on the top of the smoker isn't really telling me enough about the temp of the meat and such. What smoker do you have? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, the 18.5" one. I use the minion method and toss some wood right in the center and then dump a 1/2 chimney of burning charcoal over that. I learned that if I put pieces of wood around the charcoal on the outer ring, the heat gets to it and spikes. I would have to really pay attention and at that point, I learned there was no reason to actually put wood around the outside. The wood is doing its job in the center and it doesn't need constant feeding of wood.

I admit, if I had to really do a lot of work to maintain temps on this thing, I would not use it. My offset stick smoker was a constant pain. I could never ever leave it. With the WSM, I can nap, shower, brew, and go out to the market if need be and not worry too much.

Sorry OP to hijack your thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

I absolutely feel it was a worthwhile investment. The temp gauge on the top of the smoker isn't really telling me enough about the temp of the meat and such. What smoker do you have? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, the 18.5" one. I use the minion method and toss some wood right in the center and then dump a 1/2 chimney of burning charcoal over that. I learned that if I put pieces of wood around the charcoal on the outer ring, the heat gets to it and spikes. I would have to really pay attention and at that point, I learned there was no reason to actually put wood around the outside. The wood is doing its job in the center and it doesn't need constant feeding of wood.

I admit, if I had to really do a lot of work to maintain temps on this thing, I would not use it. My offset stick smoker was a constant pain. I could never ever leave it. With the WSM, I can nap, shower, brew, and go out to the market if need be and not worry too much.

No worries. I was looking to a get a smoker so this is helpful!

Pineapple

Seriously, pineapple. Cut and clean the pineable into long 1/8th (bricks? cant think of a better word), put them on skewers. In a non-stick pan throw 3/4th cup of brown sugar and half a stick of butter, let that melt and start to bubble, pour in 1 can of full fat cocounut milk/cream (careful it will steam up and you can easily burn your fingers so be careful here). Let that reduce on medium heat until approximately 25% of the liquid has cooked off.

After your main dish is completed throw all the pineapple on the grill and start basting it with the caramel sauce (a silicone brush works the best here), this is a great way to use the remaining heat/coals that will still burn for a bit. Turn the pineapple over and over and keep basting with the caramel sauce till you have a nice caramelized crust on the outside of the pineapple. It will give you a nice coconut and toasted marshmallow coating to go with the bright and citrusy pineapple.

I vote for brisket. It good. Though it might be a little ambitious if you have never done it.

I put a brisket on the smoker at about 10pm the night before my last brew day. I pulled it off the smoker and it was rested and ready to eat by the time the brew day was over. That was a tasty brew day, I will definitely be doing that again.

I went one step further than Hello and took the temperature probes off of my Maverick thermometer and used them to DIY a cheap temperature controller for my smoker. Being able to set it and forget it is awesome, especially when you're distracted by brewing a beer.

That Maverick is great until the probes die at which time the replacement cost will bite you in the wallet. I have replaced 4 so far, the last two to die were kept in a tupperware filled with rice and a moisture absorbing sheet. They lasted the longest but still only made it a year and a half. My theory is that the high moisture level in my green egg type cooker is hard on the probes.

Another idea for you OP, if you are running a HERMS or RIMS system they make for awesome sous vide machines for meat.

For example: if you wanted the best and most perfectly done rib eye steaks you have ever cooked then set your mash tun to ~130 degrees (medium rare), put some well marbelized >=1.5" thick steaks in a ziplock freezer bag, suck all the air out of the bag, seal it, drop it in the mash tun to warm up to perfect temp and stay there until your ready to eat. When your ready to eat throw the steaks on a ripping hot fire for a minute or so on each side to get a nice brown sear, then chow down!

Honestly you don't even need herms/rims, you can just use any old cooler: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/...er-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Lately, we've liked fresh Hungarian sausage in the pit. No need to boil in beer or whatever first. Just place them in the pit opposite the charcoal & put some wood, like cottonwood or alder, maybe pin oak on top of the coals & close it up. At about 30 minutes, turn them over & top off the wood. Watch'em at about the 45 minute mark. If you can see juices bubbling under the skin, they're done. They have to be removed from the pit before they squirt juice or split to stay juicy when eating them.
I like to dry rub ribs & cover'em in the fridge a couple hours before placing them in the pit, opposite the coals & wood chips/chunks/whatever. About an hour later, hit'em with some mop sauce ( my English Bitter one good here) Flip, rearrange, etc. This goes on for 3-5 hours, depending on heat, smoke, & wind. When the meat pulls back about 1/2 inch from the bones, they're done. I prefer to keep up on the pit, rather than set it & forget it. But some things are easier than others. If it's steamed, boiled or baked first, it ain't BBQ!

Lately, we've liked fresh Hungarian sausage in the pit. No need to boil in beer or whatever first. Just place them in the pit opposite the charcoal & put some wood, like cottonwood or alder, maybe pun oak on top of the coals & close it up. At about 30 minutes, turn them over & top off the wood. Watch'em at about the 45 minute mark. If you can see juices bubbling under the skin, they're done. They have to be removed from the pit before they squirt juice or split to stay juicy when eating them.
I like to dry rub ribs & cover'em in the fridge a couple hours before placing them in the pit, opposite the coals & wood chips/chunks/whatever. About an hour later, hit'em with some mop sauce ( my English Bitter one good here) Flip, rearrange, etc. This goes on for 3-5 hours, depending on heat, smoke, & wind. When the meat pulls back about 1/2 inch from the bones, they're done. I prefer to keep up on the pit, rather than set it & forget it. But some things are easier than others. If it's steamed, boiled or baked first, it ain't BBQ!

I really like the taste of this, but would it work after a long day of brewing?

I think I'll give it try this Fall when it is cooler and the other work is slowing down.

Fritos. RIP Mitch Hedberg.

I personally like kebabs (meat and veges/mushrooms, with spicy marinade), with some grilled corn and rice. You could throw pineapple on the skewers too, as suggested earlier.

I like to dry rub baby back ribs the day before and put them into the smoker 1/2 through brewing and occasionally toss some wood in the fire. 3-4 hrs and they are good to go. Some red rice or tater salad to go along with it.

This thread inspired me to get a couple of racks of ribs rubbed and ready for he grill after work tomorrow.
Mixed up some mixed colour pepercorns, pink salt, ground ginger, paprika n nutmeg. Squirt of lemon juice to help it all stick and wrapped up in the fridge. Plan on getting them in my grill as soon as im home from work tomorrow, give them maybe 2 hours low n slow and get some smoking chips in there too, then hit them on the grill.

Should i wrap them in some foil for the slow cook though?

Dammit im looking forward to these

I wouldn't wrap 'em for the slow cook if your trying to get impart flavor from the smoking chips.

I really like the taste of this, but would it work after a long day of brewing?

I think I'll give it try this Fall when it is cooler and the other work is slowing down.

Just get'em dry rubbed & into the pit while brewing/waiting for the mash, etc. Not hard to do. Just add some wood to the coals, or get the chimney going with more coals about half way through. And I never wrap ribs or other meat while bbqing them. Just when done to finish them to get the juices back into the meat.

When I do ribs I use the rule of 3. First hour no tinfoil to get the smoke flavor. Second hr wrap in foil to let the juices cook with the meat. Third hour. No foil to let the meat set up. Works every time. As close to 225* as I can get since my hand is my thermometer. It's all over open flame.

When I do ribs I use the rule of 3. First hour no tinfoil to get the smoke flavor. Second hr wrap in foil to let the juices cook with the meat. Third hour. No foil to let the meat set up. Works every time. As close to 225* as I can get since my hand is my thermometer. It's all over open flame.

Isn't it 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped, then 1 hour unwrapped (or until done)?

Ok so im gonna smoke em for 15-20 mins and then wrap for the rest of the cooking, probably 2 hours total as i'm cooking them after work.

Latest posts

Back