what to expect from using yeast 1084 irish Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I have an extra pack of Wyeast 1084, long story short - I got an extra pack (by mistake)with my last order from more beer. I plan on brewing up a red ale tomorrow. Recipe calls for us-05. I have brewed this several times using us-05. I plan on using the 1084 tomorrow and I'm wondering on what I should expect, versus using us-05?

Ferm temps will be ambient temp of 64F. I ferment in a bucket in my basement. Bucket stays on the concrete floor.

recipe:
From Paradise Brewing
mash 152 (BIAB)
9 lbs 2 row
12 oz Cara Pils
12 oz Crystal 10
12 oz Crystal 40
12 oz Crystal 120
4 oz Roasted Barley
Kent golding 60 min
Kent golding 15 min

I have an extra pack of Wyeast 1084, long story short - I got an extra pack (by mistake)with my last order from more beer. I plan on brewing up a red ale tomorrow. Recipe calls for us-05. I have brewed this several times using us-05. I plan on using the 1084 tomorrow and I'm wondering on what I should expect, versus using us-05?

Expect an Irish Red Ale instead of an American Red Ale. Seriously, it should be fine. Probably a little fruitier, in a good way.

Yes, expect a better beer. Wyeast 1084 is good stuff. You should save the yeast and make a stout or porter.

I love 1084. I went through a faze of using Voss for my stouts but switched back and i love the results. I find its ready to keg and drink after 10 days without cold crashing. I am not sure if its the norm but mine produces a very small krausen. It seems to produce a more flavourful beer than a neutral yeast. I need to do a red ale soon.

You'll love it! 1084 is a nice yeast, but wow, that's a ton of caramel/crystal malt. You are most likely going to end up with a very sweet beer, which is okay if you like that. Even Irish red ales, though malty, are not that sweet.

Latest posts

Back