What to do with this motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow brewers,
I had a 1/2 horse garage door opener die, the circuit board died. I stripped this motor out of it and would like to repurpose it for brewing. However, I don't know what to do with it.

So I figured I would put this to all of the brewing experts here and see what the great minds can come up with.

I am currently brewing on a gravity 3 keggle RIMS system.

Thanks in advance!

20130315_185719.jpg

20130315_185608.jpg

20130315_185650.jpg

20130315_185724.jpg

20130315_185742.jpg

Was there a gear box with it? That would make it more useful. Could be used to power a grain mill perhaps.

1500 rpm would be a lot. Can motors be throttled by cutting electricity back? Mash stirring, a big 2 gallon starter stirrer. Could run a pump head with it. Stir HLT for even temps. Put on a fan blade for ventilation.

1500 rpm would be a lot. Can motors be throttled by cutting electricity back? Mash stirring, a big 2 gallon starter stirrer. Could run a pump head with it. Stir HLT for even temps. Put on a fan blade for ventilation.

DC yes, AC not without a frequency drive.

DC yes, AC not without a frequency drive.

some AC can with a chopper (like the SSVR controls that some are selling now). But the problem is that these reduce the power the motor can put out too, and the speed is load dependant. I use one on a old low speed / high torque drill to crush grains and it works well.
I have seen a DIY circuit that uses the back EMF or something to rpovide a speed reference to the normal triac circuit that can reduce the load dependancy.
Long story short - to get it down to 200 rpm the best way would be to use gearing

Back