What to do with these hops? (Palisade and ctz)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
These are hops I forgot about in the freezer. I have 8oz of palisade and 4oz ctz.

Any ideas what to brew with them. Hop busted pale or ipa?

I also have lots of Amarillo too, but would like to use just a little.

You may have noticed that more and more breweries are using a noble hop addition in their IPAs at about the 10-20 minute mark. Palisade, while not a noble hop by any stretch of the imagination, does lend a nice "hoppy" character to the beer if added during that time frame on the order of 0.5 - 1 oz/5 gal. I haven't used CTZ for anything but bittering and dry hopping, so I'll leave it to another person to comment on it. Amarillo would be a good finishing or dry hop.

I think those three would be very good together in an IPA. If you're sparing with the Amarillo, the beer would lean towards the earthy/dank side. Never a bad thing.

Palisade has both earthy and fruity (apricot) charateristics, it is one of my favorites! With the dankness from the ctz, should give you some nice complexity. Pale ale or IPA are great choices. Might also work good in something you are trying to balance between malty and hoppy. Good luck!

I've only used palisade once, but I'm definitely planning on using it again. To me, it has one of the more interesting aromas right out of the bag. However, be careful not to be too heavy handed with it.

I added an oz. late in the boil, along with ahtanum, and then dry hopped with an oz. more of palisade, and the resulting beer was a juicy earth bomb of an APA. Interesting flavor, and unlike any beer I've ever had before, but not the most crowd pleasing of beers. Next time I brew with Palisade, I plan on paring it back quite a bit. It should do well as a complementary hop for CTZ, in your case.

Any plans yet, OP? I'm curious to see what you end up doing.

No plans yet. I'll be coming up with something in the next couple of days.
So you think putting all of the palisade in a beer would be too fruity. I'm curious to see what 6+ oz of it would be like
Thanks for all the feedback.

I plan to use a combo of 1 oz Palisade and 2 oz Liberty as flavor and aroma additions in a California Common Lager. Using Perle as muy bittering hop and WLP810 yeast starter. I'll reply with my comments once it is ready.

Latest posts

Back