What to do with Soft Mushy Sauerkraut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
I thought the 3 week sauerkraut was a bit on the young side so I let the next batch go for several months, having heard some people let it go for a whole year.
Well, I thought all was fine, all the leaves were well covered and there was no organic material for yuck to grow on... I did use a water filled ball type jar as weight and it did sport some sort of growth... and there was a lot of Kamut (?) which I do not normally have... all in all the flavor is good, bit the texture is WAY too soft... I suspect temperatures were too high and the year time line is for cold storage... Is there anything I can do to enjoy this sauerkraut? Would you dump it and try again? Make bread with the strained juice? Don't want to waste it but I don't want to eat it either.

What would you do?

Too soft is usually because of not enough salt being added before fermentation. If you want crisp fermented vegetables, you need to increase the salt concentration.

Would there be any way to check to see if I had forgotten to add salt?
Taste-wise, nothing struck me as missing a critical component, however
I remember doing the math but do not remember actually adding it...
I have a refractometer... anyone know what a normal sauerkraut would clock in at?

I haven't thought much about how they work... would it be like a 2% NaCl sol would be 2 "Brix"

Last edited:
??? not sure about what you mean.
I use a saturated salt solution to calibrate one of my higher reading refractometers... much like using distilled water to calibrate at 0.0 brix

Back