What to do with leftover rigid foam.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonDV

Reaction score
I bought a big giant sheet of foam and planned on doulbing up the walls of my kegerator and fermentor. They are pretty efficient with the stained/poly'd wood color and 1 layer of the 1/2" sheet of foam. I have some wood,plywood, and a heck of alot of rigid foam left. Any ideas of what I can do with those? Maybe use it somehow with my MLT (10 gallon rubbermaid cooler)?

Any suggestions?

Maybe insulate the lid some more, coolers often don't have great insulation on the lid because they are intended to keep things cool rather than hot. Maybe insulate the lid for your HLT too.

Exactly - cut out circles the same diameter as the ID of your mash tun (well, a little smaller), put those circles in a crock pot liner bag, and rest them right on top of the mash.

Exactly - cut out circles the same diameter as the ID of your mash tun (well, a little smaller), put those circles in a crock pot liner bag, and rest them right on top of the mash.

Gotcha. Good plan. For some reason I thought to build a box around it, but that is just me trying to use it all up.

Why the crock pot liner bag? Is that to keep it waterproof?

Yep, the foam will get nasty if you get sugary wort on it. And crock pot liners are food safe and heat resistant to way above normal mash temps.

Yep, the foam will get nasty if you get sugary wort on it. And crock pot liners are food safe and heat resistant to way above normal mash temps.

Thanks. Good call on the heat resistance! I would have found that out eventually and messily.

Make an incubator. Cut and tape some sections together. Mount a lightbulb and control with a ranco or similar. I built one years ago and it's been very handy. I use it for starters, rising bread, cheese making, and yogurt. Highly recommended. I have an auxiliary outlet so I can use the same ranco for sources outside of the box if need be. Mines plywood with reflectrix, but I really wish it had some better insulation.

I used the leftover to lay plywood/sheet goods on to cut them to size. Otherwise, find places to stuff it around your house to insulate.

Latest posts

Back