What to buy next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxsman

Reaction score
I am getting back into brewing after a 20 year break. I am currently brewing extract with ambitions to move into all grain. I have everything to brew, bottle or keg. I am interested in either a stir plate to begin creating starters or the oxygen kit from Williams. What would benefit the beer the most. I am leaning towards the stir plate with the idea of learning the art of creating a starter. What stir plates are people recommending. Thanks

I would recomend a stir plate a beaker and an aquarium pump used with the tubing and a racking cane for oxigen transfer. this way you get the best of both worlds and can make better beer.:rockin:

I recommend the stir plate as well. If you have, even a little DIY spirit in you, you can build a stir plate REALLY easy. This looks like the mother of them all... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-diy-stir-plate-228400/ . I would also check in a some local science supply/hobby shops and/or collages in the area for the 2L flask and possibly the stir bars. It will be MUCH cheaper (unless you do not have those options around) than ordering them online in my experience.

IF you do have those places around see if they also have a 12" autoclavible pipette. (It will look like a long eye dropper) I love mine because it will slide into a bung opening or carboy cap and allow you take as much or as little liquid as you want and are only 2-3 bucks.

The reason I side with the stir plate is IMO it is better to pitch the right amount of healthy yeast instead of getting a small PPM boost of O2 into all your worts.

BTW welcome back to homebrewing and to HBT!

So is the stirstarter the best choice? The price looks good. I will add an extra bar and get the two liter container. Will this work on 1 gallon jugs? Also will this unit support larger bars? Can anyone recommend a good website to help with calculating starters.
Thanks for your help.

So is the stirstarter the best choice? The price looks good. I will add an extra bar and get the two liter container. Will this work on 1 gallon jugs? Also will this unit support larger bars? Can anyone recommend a good website to help with calculating starters.
Thanks for your help.

With a stir plate you can make smaller starters than without one.
mrmalty.com for calculating starter sizes.

Thanks for your help.

This was in a HBT members signature, I don't know who to give credit to but it works well.

YeastCalc Yeast Calculator

You might be putting the cart before the horse. Do you have adequate fermentation temperature control? If not, that's where you need to spend your money.

You might be putting the cart before the horse. Do you have adequate fermentation temperature control? If not, that's where you need to spend your money.

+1, this before a stirplate

A store bought kegerator with a temp control unit works fine for a fermenter, right? Having not done it before, if a brew calls for fermentation at 68 degrees is it as simple as setting the temp control at 68 and letting it go?

Really temperature control!!!! I wanted to buy a stir plate. I will spend a few day researching temp control. I do have a beer fridge I used to keep kegs in. I also run an automation and controls division so I should be capable of maintaining temperature. I am currently fermenting in a spare bedroom/office where the temp is a constant 68-70 degrees with a slight drop at night. Is this not good enough or is constant temp control really that important? In the past (1994) I struggled with my beer fermenting down to a low gravity. This is the reasoning of investing in quality starters so I could see proper fermenting. I tend to like high gravity beers. Please keep the suggestions coming. I like it!!!

Room temps of 68-70 can mean fermentation temps of up to 80* in a vigorous fermentation. I try to keep the temp of the beer in my buckets/carboys around 62* to keep the yeast happy.

Throw caution to the wind. Get a good cooler and make a mash tun. Once you go all-grain, you never go back!

Back