what to backsweetin with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
I just racked my cider to a bottling bucket an added some gelatine
and put it in the freezer to cold crash and clear , when its clear i plan to keg it to force carb it, then bottle it, then pasteurize (in the dishwasher) it's down to
1.002 from 1.068 and needs to be sweeter ,what can/should i use i have corn sugar ,cane , maple syrup ,splenda , stevia ?

I just racked my cider to a bottling bucket an added some gelatine
and put it in the freezer to cold crash and clear , when its clear i plan to keg it to force carb it, then bottle it, then pasteurize (in the dishwasher) it's down to
1.002 from 1.068 and needs to be sweeter ,what can/should i use i have corn sugar ,cane , maple syrup ,splenda , stevia ?

I have never made cider but I would think you'd want to use lactose or some other unfermentable sugar.

You could use Apple juice conenteate just the syrup not the extra water if u search u can find others that have done this. Chopps

Check the sweetening/pasteurizing sticky, that's what I just did, turned out great.

Edit: Oh wait, you are gonna pasteurize. I did apple juice concentrate, turned out pretty sweet and very appley.

Thanks everyone thats what i was looking for i wonder if one of the frozen
cans would be enough for 4 gals ? we'll give'r a shot.
Thanks

since you are pasteurizing I would not back sweeten with stevia, splenda, or lactose as pasteurization will eliminate the risk of bottle bombs and those other non-fermentable sweeteners don't taste as good IMHO as fermentable sweeteners. The cider I just back-sweetened with homemade caramel syrup is FANTASTIC!!! Brown sugar, or apple concentrate are also good choices.

overdbus said:
Thanks everyone thats what i was looking for i wonder if one of the frozen
cans would be enough for 4 gals ? we'll give'r a shot.
Thanks

I also have 4 gals of cider right now that I'm going to backsweeten with 1 can of concentrae and passturize let me know how urs turns out and ill do the same maybe we will do a.recipe swap

Latest posts

Back