What the heck is stuck inside my carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
OK, this weekend I picked up some used carboys, so I figured I should give the a good soaking. I have them soaking in a bleach/water solution. This evening after about 30 hours of soaking, I decided to use one of my 3 gallon carboys.

I dumped the bleach solution and rinsed but it has a film on the inside, it looks like little specs of salt or something stuck to the inside, it will come off with a good scrub, but how the heck do I scrub it?

Any idea what this is and how do I get it out?

I haven't checked the other carboys yet but I am assuming the same.

Mineral build up probably. Give it a good rinse with a acid solution like white vinegar or Star San and it should take care of it.

I have one soaking with some vinegar and another soaking with TSP, the TSP looks like it is doing something, but can't tell until I dump it and look inside. Almost looks like the residue is floating to the top, however that could be the TSP powder itself.

How long does it need to soak?

I can't seem to find star san in Canada, I'll have to call around a little more, sounds like a wonderful product.

I have one soaking with some vinegar and another soaking with TSP, the TSP looks like it is doing something, but can't tell until I dump it and look inside. Almost looks like the residue is floating to the top, however that could be the TSP powder itself.

I can't seem to find star san in Canada, I'll have to call around a little more, sounds like a wonderful product.

canada does suffer from a lack of star-san. you may have to look on sites across the border for it

Any friends who are dairy farmers? Friends of friends? Try to score some Oxysan which is widely used in the industry to sanitize CIP systems. Many wine making shops sell it in small quantities but a farm supply would likely only sell in much larger quantities that you'd want. A friendly farmer, though, would likely be willing to part with a couple of kgs at a very reasonable rate. Works here in Ont anyway. :)

Any friends who are dairy farmers? Friends of friends? Try to score some Oxysan which is widely used in the industry to sanitize CIP systems. Many wine making shops sell it in small quantities but a farm supply would likely only sell in much larger quantities that you'd want. A friendly farmer, though, would likely be willing to part with a couple of kgs at a very reasonable rate. Works here in Ont anyway. :)

One of my LHBS did bring in some OxySan and I do know a dairy farmer, I will look into that if the vinegar doesn't work..

I haven't been able to find any onfo on how much vinegar to use in the carboy.. .

TSP didn't work.

People can talk about cleaners from now to the end of time, I've tried the oxiclean,tsp, dishwasher powder, and countless others and nothing touches PBW. its spendy but worth it.

www.homebrew-supplies.ca has it in canada but its priced high.

John

Back