What the heck fun facts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copy and Paste from Wikipedia:

The word "colonel" derives from the same root as the word "column" (Italian: colonna) and means "of a column", and, by implication, "commander of a column". The word "colonel" is therefore linked to the word "column" in a similar way that "brigadier" is linked to "brigade", although in English this relationship is not immediately obvious. By the end of the late medieval period, a group of "companies" was referred to as a "column" of an army.

Copy and Paste from SnakeRidge:

Copy and Paste from Wikipedia:

The word "colonel" derives from the same root as the word "column" (Italian: colonna) and means "of a column", and, by implication, "commander of a column". The word "colonel" is therefore linked to the word "column" in a similar way that "brigadier" is linked to "brigade", although in English this relationship is not immediately obvious. By the end of the late medieval period, a group of "companies" was referred to as a "column" of an army.

Hope this helps.

onomatopoeia

My favorite word. It's a word that describes a sound, like "Boom".

Name another word with four consecutive vowels that are all different.

This ought to draw the pedants out of the woodwork. :D

You rang?

I'm purposefully not contributing to this thread because of this comment. It's a comment which reminds me of one of my many shortcomings, one that I've reminded myself to correct. [Oh darn, stop correcting!] [and no more parenthetical comments][those are brackets, not parenthesis]

So, thank you Mr. Stout.

Why is February pronounced "feb-yoo-air-ee"?
Why do they call them "buildings" when they're already built? Should call them "builts."
Why is it a "hot water heater"? Hot water doesn't need to be heated.

This ought to draw the pedants out of the woodwork. :D

Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?

Why is cargo shipped by sea and shipments go by car?

Gotta love George Carlin.

You rang?

I'm purposefully not contributing to this thread because of this comment. It's a comment which reminds me of one of my many shortcomings, one that I've reminded myself to correct. [Oh darn, stop correcting!] [and no more parenthetical comments][those are brackets, not parenthesis]

So, thank you Mr. Stout.

What did you get a pendant for?

Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?

Why is cargo shipped by sea and shipments go by car?

Gotta love George Carlin.

And why is there no blue food?
---George Carlin

I had a bunch of his comedy albums back in the '70s. Saw one of his performances--hilarious standup. I miss that guy.

Why do the british use the term "safe as houses" when most accidents occur inside and within a short distance of the home?

Why do the british use the term "safe as houses" when most accidents occur inside and within a short distance of the home?

An investment term perhaps?

The Sami people of northern Finland use a measure called Poronkusema: the distance a reindeer can walk before needing to urinate.
This one is from the QI fact book

Classic! Man, I miss George Carlin.

I as well. I'm sure he's down there now screaming up at us.*

Why do people keep using these phone apps and complain about them?

An acre is the area that can be ploughed by one ox and yoke in one working day.

*For those of you who don't get it, https://youtu.be/3PiZSFIVFiU?t=298t 5 minute mark. NSFW language.

Al Sleet.The hippy dippy weatherman.Sunny today followed by mostly dark tonight. Not to be confused with Al Pouch the hippy dippy postman.

Isn't this drunken ramblings? I can't be arsed to read the contents of this thread- too damn long if you ask me.

From post above: "Regards, GF" works on many levels. My GF would be [redacted]. Too drunk to make pun, add value to thread, or even just respond in a comprehensible manner.

The only word with all the vowels and none repeated. Bonus points for you!

eutopia? facetious? subcontinental? uncomplimentary?

also apparently there's a genus of Cretaceous fossil sponges called iouea.

but most importantly, you're forgetting that according to some sources, there's six vowels in the english language.

therefore:

facetiously

eutopia? facetious? subcontinental? uncomplimentary?

also apparently there's a genus of Cretaceous fossil sponges called iouea.

but most importantly, you're forgetting that according to some sources, there's six vowels in the english language.

therefore:

facetiously

I guess you got me. I was playing Scrabble and the word "sequoia" came up. I was double checking the spelling and found out it was the shortest word with all the vowels, and none repeated. I forgot about the "shortest" part. And apparently it not, as per your fossil sponge. I stand corrected, and l learned something new today. Time to go home!

I guess you got me. I was playing Scrabble and the word "sequoia" came up. I was double checking the spelling and found out it was the shortest word with all the vowels, and none repeated. I forgot about the "shortest" part. And apparently it not, as per your fossil sponge. I stand corrected, and l learned something new today. Time to go home!

;)

"A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y."
(Does a golf clap) :D

Approves.

EBN-OZN%20-%20AEIOU%20Sometimes%20Y%20[12-inch%20single].jpg

Back