What Stylesize Have a Grist and Mash Profile Similar to Helles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I have a unique brewing process which involves splitting one mash into separate beers without a partigyle. (See link in my signature for details). I want to brew a helles lager or maybe a pils, and I am trying to think of a good second beer to brew with a similar grain bill, at least in base malt, since I can steep specialty malts separately.

I know I could do a Belgian blonde or Tripel, but I think I might like something else. Would a schwartzbier work if I steeped some carafa, etc.?

What other styles could work with a mostly pilsner base, but get me a different beer than a light lager?

Edit: **Styles. Stupid autocorrect.

No signature to look at. So if I understand you correctly you want to mash a helles recipe for instance mash 20 lbs for a 10 gallon batch and split it into 2 with different gravities. If you want something with more malt character for sure add specialty grains and steep for 30 mins. Any amber or dark lager would work just use the appropriate yeast. Also I would keep some DME on hand incase you need to boost up the OG.

Czech amber or dark lager
Doppelbock, Baltic porter, IPA with pilsner malt.

I would just make something you think sounds great and go with it. Good luck.

No signature to look at. So if I understand you correctly you want to mash a helles recipe for instance mash 20 lbs for a 10 gallon batch and split it into 2 with different gravities. If you want something with more malt character for sure add specialty grains and steep for 30 mins. Any amber or dark lager would work just use the appropriate yeast. Also I would keep some DME on hand incase you need to boost up the OG.

Czech amber or dark lager
Doppelbock, Baltic porter, IPA with pilsner malt.

I would just make something you think sounds great and go with it. Good luck.

I guess my sig is up now. The thing I'm after is variety. You've mostly got the idea, although I usually want somewhat similar gravities (hence not doing a partigyle).

How's a Cezech dark different from Schwartzbier? I'm trying to steer clear of amber lager since I've already got an Ofest right now. (I guess I should update my sig.)

Ideas I've had:

Classic American Pils and Kentuckey Common--but I have no 6-row on hand
German Pils and Schwartzbier--but I'd have to make a bunch of lager yeast if both are lagers (maybe a small cali common batch for a starter).

So in reference to lager yeast and Im going off of experience and what someone has shared with me. If you have a SG of 1.040 maybe 1.045 Don't bother with a starter. Get one fresh vial or smack pack of that said lager yeast preferably a few weeks old. If your worried as I was when I first tired it get 2 vials or packs.

As for a Czech dark lager I think since I have never had one is a bit more malt richer than a schwartzbier. My first experience with a Gold Medal Schwartzbier I was thrown back. It a very settle beer not like what the description say about a Dark lager that has medium to medium high malt richness.

Since there is no lhbs with 6 row, I am leaning toward pils and scwarzbier. I have an old mr. Beer can that I will use to make a 2 gallon batch of steam beer with 34/70 slurry I have. I will then split the yeast cake between the two beers and save a little for future starters. Everything I have read says you need a big starter for lagers, so I don't want to underpitch.

Since there is no lhbs with 6 row, I am leaning toward pils and scwarzbier. I have an old mr. Beer can that I will use to make a 2 gallon batch of steam beer with 34/70 slurry I have. I will then split the yeast cake between the two beers and save a little for future starters. Everything I have read says you need a big starter for lagers, so I don't want to underpitch.

I know I understand and Im the same way but have done 2 batches of Czech pale lagers og 1.035 and both fermented well with just one smack pack that was 15 days from manufacturing. Just my 2 cents but with my bigger beers I always have enough healthy yeast.

Yeah, I'm going to be in the 1.050 range and using slurry, so a starter is needed. The pitching rate calculators say it should be a big one, so why not make one I can drink?!

Latest posts

Back