What style of beer for fennel seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishkochito

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So near the end of last summer I used some of the seeds from my fennel plants to top a couple loaves of bread and really liked the flavors together. I decided then that I should try to infuse a beer with this flavor this year.

Now that we are nearing the end of summer I'm seriously contemplating doing this but I need to decide what style of beer they might compliment. I was sort of thinking of a wheat beer but I'm not sure. Does anyone experience with fennel seeds or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I brewed a historic style called a Swankey a few years back. It is sort of a dark mild with anise (which is pretty similar to fennel), how does that sound? I'm not a big licorice fan, but this one was pretty good, and it aged surprisingly well.

I looked at the recipe on the link you posted - that does sound pretty interesting. Fennel stem does taste a lot like anise but the seeds are milder and aren't as sweet. I was originally envisioning something light in color. At first I thought a wheat and have since thought that maybe a biscuity flavor might be nice for a base. I must admit that your swankey makes me think that a dark mild could be the right base for this.

Thanks for your input.

Charlie Papazian has a recipe for a brown ale using star anise, which as mentioned, is in the same general area. You can probably Google for it.

A wheat beer can be used as a base for many things. I think you might worry about clashing if you were to brew a hoppy beer. Also, fennel seed is often used in pizza sauce, but I'm not sure where that goes.

Could you toast them first?

I could toast them. That would probably do well as I like their flavor baked onto bread.

I would keep hops minimal - I agree it would clash in flavor.

A google search shows many beers with anise, but I didn't find Papazian's. Did you find it in one of his books?

I did find reference to a fennel porter which is sort of intriguing, but I'm still thinking wheat.

I'd probably add them to a wheat or a blond. They could give some interesting characteristics to a porter, but I'd want it to be more of a hint than a primary flavoring in that scenario.

I forgot, I have had a beer with fennel seeds. Joe gave me a bottle of this porter with fennel and smoked paprika.

That sounds like quite a beer. Now I'll need to go out and inventory the seeds on my fennel plants as I could see bottling something interesting like a porter with fennel, but would still like to add some to a wheat (or possibly a blonde as suggested by HexKrak). The thought of this with smoked paprika sounds amazing. In fact, the style of bread I was topping with fennel seed usually gets fresh paprika and I think I remember this being a good combination.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Anyone have an update to this? I’m interested in a dark brew with oats and fennel seeds. The wife wants a lactation brew.

Anyone have an update to this? I’m interested in a dark brew with oats and fennel seeds. The wife wants a lactation brew.

Seven years later, you'll be lucky to get any response from the OP. But who knows... @ishkochito

Off Topic: Are you a HHH? Back in my running days, I thought about getting into a group like that. I have a good friend who is.

Latest posts

Back