What size nitrogen tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have an 8-tap keezer with a 5lb CO2 tank that lasts for quite a while. I'm looking to add nitro to my setup for up to two of those taps. I know nitro is used at a faster rate than CO2. Any recommendations for a tank size? There's a member of this site that sells 20, 40, 60, and 80 cf tanks, but I don't know what to order.

Thanks!

Just remember that the fill cost goes up very little between sizes. Here it's a two dollar difference between 5 and 10.

fwiw, I run a single stout faucet with 75/25 beer gas and use a 40cf cylinder (bought it from Scott on HBT). That faucet pours around 40 gallons per year and I've gone a couple of years on a single fill.

The 40 is tippy enough to need some kind of stand to be safe...

Cheers!

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. There's no way I'd put 40 gallons through a single tap in a year, so 40cf is probably overkill, but the fewer trips I make to the gas supply the better. CO2 I can get from the beer distributor, but nitro is a bit of a hike. 40 it is!

I am also looking at installing a nitro setup and had this same question, so thanks for asking eulipion2!

I have a followup question; will beer mix gas go "bad"? It would be nice to have a 40cf tank and not have to fill more than once every year or two, but will the mix deteriorate during that time?

There's about 7.5 gal/cu ft. Serving at 30 psi you are at about 3 atm pressure (absolute), so it will take 3 gal of gas to serve 1 gal of beer. That gives you 15 gal or 2 cu ft of gas to serve 1 keg, roughly.

Brew on :mug:

I am also looking at installing a nitro setup and had this same question, so thanks for asking eulipion2!

I have a followup question; will beer mix gas go "bad"? It would be nice to have a 40cf tank and not have to fill more than once every year or two, but will the mix deteriorate during that time?

No, the gas will not go bad.

There's about 7.5 gal/cu ft. Serving at 30 psi you are at about 3 atm pressure (absolute), so it will take 3 gal of gas to serve 1 gal of beer. That gives you 15 gal or 2 cu ft of gas to serve 1 keg, roughly.

Beer Math Nerd indeed! :rockin: Now that's what I'm talking about! Great info doug, thanks!

No, the gas will not go bad.

Good to know!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back