What size kettle to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
Just getting started brewing, having only done 1 gallon batches so far. Now I'm thinking about the future, and would like to do 3 gallon batches biab. But I also would like the ability to be able to do 5 gallon biab batches if I choose to. So my question is, how big of a kettle do I need to buy to be able to do 3 and possibly 5 gallon batches?

+1, 8-10 is good. If you go too big, you can do larger batches if you want. Smaller, more limiting. Bigger isn't much more expensive, usually.

For 3-5 gallon batches 10 gallons would be plenty. I just did a 3.5 gallon batch in my 10 gallon kettle today and it worked well.

I started with the hope of only doing 1 gallon batches and wanted to try my hand at 5 gallons so i settled on 7.5g kettle. after boiling over 3 for 3, I started shopping for larger kettles. i found a 15g kettle for 95 dollars shipped. And I am quite glad I did.

I would say that if you are debating upscale at all, start watching sales. I regret the 7.5g purchase. I'm hoping to salvage it as a HLT soon. But I should have stuck to 1g batches until i got at least a 10g.

Either way let us know what you end up with and how well you like it. :mug:

I've been brewing 4 gallon BIAB's in a Presto canner that holds about 21 or 22 quarts. It's pretty tight. I just bought an 8 gallon kettle from one of the guys in the local homebrew club. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the other members were telling me to wait and get a 10 gallon.

When you can buy something like this for so cheap i dont see why you'd get anything else. At $80 for a 10 gallon pot with a weld so you can more easily drain at the end of your boil AND gallon markings is a steal. Add another $20 bucks for a close nipple, 2 piece ball valve and a 1/2"->1/2" hose barb and your set for $100 with a pot that can last you your entire brewing career really.

http://www.homebrewing.org/10-gal-Marked-Pot-with-One-Weld_p_6065.html

I wouldn't recommend less than an 10 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches. Any less than that, and you're babysitting for boilovers the whole time, especially if you ever do 90 minute boils.

my kettle is 42 quarts... 10.5 gallon. I do a 7.5 gallon BIAB mash with gravity from 1.50 to 1.075. I have not had a boil over, but have come very close during the hot break...until I started using fermcap. I'd hate to have anything smaller than my 10.5 gallon for 5 gallon batches. My son bought me the 42 qt. aluminum kettle, with a basket and lid, at Academy, for less than $50 and I have done over 50 batches with it.

Agreeing with other posters re: minimum 10 gal for 5 gal BIAB batches. I went with this for 5 gal batches and don't regret it.

Actually, I do regret not going larger for 10 gal batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had gone bigger from the beginning. I have spent more money on kettles than I would have liked. First it was a 5 gallon pot for extract brewing. Then an 8 gallon pot for all-grain. Mind you these are stainless steel (not cheapies). Now I am about to start 10 gallon brews with my buddy and split the wort so I will once again need to buy a pot.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/100...s-steel-stock-pot-with-cover/922SSPOT100.html

Maybe overkill, and correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awesome deal for a 100qt!

The 40 qt is a great option for 5 gal brewers - Have a 32 qt and it is almost not enough sometimes.

I have this exact model and it is awesome. I don't brew in a bag and there are no scorch marks on the bottom. No stuck hop debris or anything. This pot is awesome.

It is way heavier gauge than others out there and if you want to go induction instead of propane, this will have you covered

I know this is going against the rest of the very good advice here, but, I use a 5 gal kettle for 5 gal batches of extract brew. I would go 10 if i had the room and will when i buy a new house and a propane burner. With a smaller kettle I can only boil 2.5 to 3 gallons of wort. I mix the wort once it gets down to around 100 degrees using a wort chiller,with cool water to get the temp down to pitching temp. I have yet to have a bad batch but I know if i brewed a 5 gallon wort, the beer would be better.
So if space is an issue as it is with me, then a 5 gallon kettle would work so long as you keep it filled with no more 2.5 to 3 gallons. At half full you still have to baby sit for boil overs though. Good Luck!

I have a similar question any maybe someone here will give me an answer. I recently started, like this week, brewing 5 gallon batches and did not get a big enough kettle. I am looking to get one but want to know if getting a 15 gallon kettle would be just fine for 5 gallon batches so in the future I could also do 10 gallon batches. Would this be a problem at all?

Yes 15g is fine. That's what I use for 5g BIAB batches. Zero chance for a boilover and more than enough room to do whatever you want inside.

I like my 15.5 gal ss brew kettle. I still need fermcap half the time, but it's nice for my high gravity stuff when I start with 13 gallons and boil down to 5.5g

Back