what size gas tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to kegging and have a query on co2 tank size I'm looking at one with a capacity of 5lb .
does anyone know how may 5 gal. this tank would push out?
Its nice and small to fit in my fridge and I only would use in a kegarator set up, thanks .

5lb will go 5-8 kegs dispensing. I think the general going rate is .75-1 lb of co2 per keg dispense. I just got a 5 and I already know I'll want to upgrade eventually.

Its just as expensive to fill a 10/20lb as a 5lb so the costs savings will be nice.

For those looking to buy, kegconnection are offering a FREE 10lb tank upgrade. Buy a kit, which generally comes with a 5lb tank, and you get a shiny 10lber instead. (I think they're running 10% off everything too, which basically equates to free shipping)

You also have to consider the CO2 used to carbonate the beer. If you prime with sugar and let the yeast do the job, that reduces your CO2 usage by half.

Most of my CO2 goes to carbonating soda water (35 psi) and I get 5-6 kegs worth.

Remember to make sure that you can get your pretty 5lb tank filled local to you. Some places only swap out tanks and you might find yourself driving home with a crust steel 5lb tank instead of your shiny aluminum one. Always best to call around.

Remember to make sure that you can get your pretty 5lb tank filled local to you. Some places only swap out tanks and you might find yourself driving home with a crust steel 5lb tank instead of your shiny aluminum one. Always best to call around.

or taking your nasty Craigslist steel tank in and coming home with a nice shiny aluminum one.. done this twice with 20lb tanks just tell the guy what your doing with them and they will surely exchange for the nicer tank. The place I go has butt load of tanks all ready to go and most are aluminum.

I only use the 5 lb tanks to push the beer not carb it.

I had two steel tanks and the guy here asked me if I cared. I don't, so I get aluminum tanks now. He saves the steel tanks for guys who refuse to take an aluminum one.

Don't know how things would go in Brazil.

ok guys , thanks , I think i'll go with the 5-7lb tank thats available here It seems I wont have to keep running to have it refilled too often so thats great. cheers!

Back