What size Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I'm putting together an electric BIAB system. the base is a 10 gallon Stout Tanks kettle. I assume i'll be doing 3-4 gallon batches with it. Anyways I tested it last night with an element from another EBIAB project i did a few years ago. I started with 8 gallons of water. 78F start. 1650 Watt element. It took 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to a boil. Obviously the element is undersized. I want to see what my options are without having to install a 220V circuit... which i will do if needed. But i have a 30A 120V circuit from when i had an RV. I'd use it to plug in the RV and run the AC while at home. What options of elements could i use with a 30A 120V circuit? Thanks for any help.

I use the 2250W element mentioned by MMP126. I brew 5 gallon batches, typically start with 7.5 gallons of water. The times are pretty reasonable. You'll be looking at 45 minutes to mash and another 20 or so from mash to boil. Perhaps a bit faster for you if you're looking at 3-4 gallon batches.
I put together a page on choosing and installing a heating element for eBIAB, have a read!
Choosing an Electric Brewing Heating Element - The Electric Brew in a Bag

Back