What should I make to test my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year, now doing stovetop pm's. To date, I've used bottled water exclusively because my water is pretty hard. I'd like to start using my tap water to save on the costs and to have more control over the process, but I don't really like the taste of my water. I built a filter (per the shower filter setup indicated in BYO a few years ago) and per water calculator spreadsheets, I should be able to get a decent mash ph and water mineral balance with 25-50% RO water and additions of gypsum, calc chloride and lactic acid. But this seems like a lot of screwing around for something that might still result in me using water that is chemically acceptable for brewing but still lousy tasting. the water does taste "better" but not "awesome" when filtered.

So my question is: what s a good beer to brew that will test my water,but not result in a massive waste of time and ingredients should it not work out? Something that will be ready quickly and won't be so flavorful that it can mask having poor water?

Poor water is somewhat subjective, you should look up the water report for your area and post it here for some more help. You really have three potential problems, chlorine/chloramine in the water, alkalinity, and flavor ions. The filtering helps with the chlorine but the other two can still cause problems potentially.

So my question is: what s a good beer to brew that will test my water,but not result in a massive waste of time and ingredients should it not work out? Something that will be ready quickly and won't be so flavorful that it can mask having poor water?

I think you are approaching this from the wrong direction. Get your water tested (search for Ward Labs) so you know what is in it. Then you can make a decision as to what beer styles are suited to it or not and what are the correct adjustments for the styles you may want to brew.

My water:
Calcium 81
Sodium 29
Magnesium 34
Chloride 34
Sulfate 100
Alkalinity 250

Thanks for the help.

Poor water is subjective to style. I think your alkalinity is a little high for the lighter beer styles. Check into Bru'n Water or EZ water spreadsheets using your profile and go from there.

Your water on its own probably can make a decent Robust Porter or American Stout, and maybe Pale Ales if you acidify the mash. For virtually everything else, you'll probably want to cut your water with RO and add calcium back as CaCl2.

No style is more water-dependent than Lite American Lager....

Back