What should I make myself for dinner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CreamyGoodness said:
I feel so uninspired... wife is in Atlanta. Frigging Atlanta.

Lucky Atlanta!

What about trout stuffed with ricotta and watercress, new potatoes tossed in butter and parsley and mange tout peas. That's what I had last night and seriously tempted to make again tonight.

That sounds like God on a plate. Did you make it just for yourself or for wife/kids too?

I'm thinking something a bit cheaper though, and fewer pans.

CreamyGoodness said:
That sounds like God on a plate.

Except this existed! Ber-dum-tishhhh

Made it for the family but only used one pan by baking the trout in paper parcels in the oven and steaming the mange tout over the spuds.

Wish I'd just made it for myself though as all I got was grief over the skin and bones on the trout from the girls. ........Sometimes I don't know why I bother!

Maybe I'll make macaroni and squash.

Or escarole soup. God I love soup. But its so hot out...

If you figured out how to kill a fish yet I say go for fish :)

When all else fails and I'm alone I make home made pizza...a little labor intensive to make the dough, but I make enough to have a few pies later in the week too. If you feel up to a bit of work and like Indian, makhani is awesome. But, it is hot where you live so may as well fire up the BBQ and keep the oven and stove off, NY strip it is, perhaps with a shallot merlot butter on top.

How lazy/healthy are you feeling? Linguini and clams is easy and tasty. I also like to fall back on the low mess whole meal off the grill. Be it burgers or a steak with a grilled onion and maybe corn. No pans to clean and super easy. Or maybe some sort of kebab. Kebabs are fun and easy, tasty and healthy too.

it all depends what you have on hand unless you plan on shopping

Just julienne slice some zucchini and squash, boil, strain, dump favorite pasta sauce on top and/or replace pasta in a lasagna with slices of zucchini my favorite quick dish.

138734d1375374537-dammit-creamy-forumrunner_20130801_122853.jpg

Bacon Wrapped....

Anything.

Just as a totally offtopic random fact- Homer and his wife and a couple of other guests and I ate 3.5 pounds of bacon on Saturday. We had another pound (plus the remaining half pound) for breakfast on Sunday. That's right- 6 people ate 5 pounds of bacon in less than 24 hours.

We had a pound of bacon in the potato salad, a pound of bacon in the frittata, and 1.5 pounds of bacon wrapping the shrimp. For breakfast the next day, we had only one pound and a half of bacon left.

I'm astounded and amazed. We didn't even have any atomic buffalo turds or anything else.

So, anything wrapped in bacon will work. Asparagus, chicken breasts, even meatballs- wrap it in bacon and stuff it with bleu cheese and you're gourmet.

Restaurant Eugene's tasting menu for today

Vegetarian:
corn Machoux, Radish, corno del toro purée, thai Basil
yellow pole Beans, sauce Royale, Basil, johnny cake, Caviar
Squash gratin, tomato fondue, Pecorino, Padron pepper
hedgehog Mushrooms, spring onion, white Grits
clay pot roasted Vidalia onion, Parsley, chicken broth
Milk Maid, Pear mustard, pain au levain, spice oil
Yoghurt, Blueberries, coriander-almond Streusel, yuzu

Meat:
mountain Trout tartare, crisp Oysters, remoulade
Foie Gras, Blackberry, Brioche, fleur de sel
American red Snapper, sapelo Clams, carrot, wax beans, Benne cream
three Beets, pot liquor, greens, chive, tennessee Bacon
berkshire Pork, potato gratin, lady Peas, anise hyssop
Dancing Fern, Peach compote, Sesame
64% chocolate Mousse, candied Orange peel, Coffee dacquoise

And, beat the Rockies.

Crock pot venison roast with garlic, herbs, peppers, potatoes, onion and carrots? That's my dinner tonight, wife is working tonight (Nurse).

Just as a totally offtopic random fact- Homer and his wife and a couple of other guests and I ate 3.5 pounds of bacon on Saturday. We had another pound (plus the remaining half pound) for breakfast on Sunday. That's right- 6 people ate 5 pounds of bacon in less than 24 hours.

We had a pound of bacon in the potato salad, a pound of bacon in the frittata, and 1.5 pounds of bacon wrapping the shrimp. For breakfast the next day, we had only one pound and a half of bacon left.

I'm astounded and amazed. We didn't even have any atomic buffalo turds or anything else.

So, anything wrapped in bacon will work. Asparagus, chicken breasts, even meatballs- wrap it in bacon and stuff it with bleu cheese and you're gourmet.

As Zac Brown says..."Life is good today."

I think I am doing macaroni (spaghetti broke in 3" pieces) and squash (zucchini). Thanks for all the suggestions. Pretty much all of them are going to be made some other night.

I'm always a fan of baked tilapia or salmon. Just a little salt, pepper, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. I usually serve that up with some baked asparagus, sprinkled with Cavender's Greek Seasoning (you will not believe how awesome that combination is!)

Either that or fire up the grill. I'd probably do some beer brats or hamburgers. Or pork chops. I do love me some grilled pork chops. Crap, now I'm hungry.

I thought about making a shallot and cheese fritata (I love eggs too) but I feel like Ive eaten so many eggs lately.

I don't cook often, but when I do I get pretty elaborate. Lately, I've been more of the sous chef.

Just now, I kegged 10 gallons of beer, and then made spicy peanut sauce.

Bob is making a spicy pork dish with our wonderful vegetables from our garden (yellow squash, broccoli, snowpeas) and adding the peanut sauce.

Making peanut sauce is easy (and the only time I eat legumes because I love it so much!). Even though you're set on a pasta dish, you could make chicken with peanut sauce tomorrow.

It's this wonderful combination of spicy, tart (I used lime juice), smooth, creamy, sweetness that defies explanation. The cilantro is key, and I love cilantro!

Or, if you have the stuff for peanut sauce, make your pasta dish a Thai noodle dish!

Well it is national IPA day. I'm avoiding food and sitting in Puyallup River Brewery right now enjoying the dollar off IPA pints.

Dammit HBT.

I have nothing ready to eat tonight (i.e. fridge is empty and freezer is packed full). But, I have to go to the store to get stuff for a chili cookoff this weekend, so I thought I'd just pick up a gross rotissere chicken and use some potatoes and corn/peas or whatever else is in the freezer.

Then I see this post:

then made spicy peanut sauce.

Bob is making a spicy pork dish with our wonderful vegetables from our garden (yellow squash, broccoli, snowpeas) and adding the peanut sauce.

Making peanut sauce is easy (and the only time I eat legumes because I love it so much!). Even though you're set on a pasta dish, you could make chicken with peanut sauce tomorrow.

It's this wonderful combination of spicy, tart (I used lime juice), smooth, creamy, sweetness that defies explanation. The cilantro is key, and I love cilantro!

Or, if you have the stuff for peanut sauce, make your pasta dish a Thai noodle dish!

Now I'm craving peanut sauce. And what goes with peanut sauce? Chicken satay of course. And if you have that, you need some A Jaad (that spicy Thai cucumber/shallot/chili "relish"). And I do have some char siu bao in the freezer I could steam up. Or just mix up some lettuce wraps and make this like I did several months ago:

546343_3987727124716_982979716_n-60608.jpg

So, Yoop - what's your peanut sauce recipe? The store bought stuff is too damn 'spensive...

So much for a quick meal tonight. :eek:

So, Yoop - what's your peanut sauce recipe? The store bought stuff is too damn 'spensive...

So much for a quick meal tonight. :eek:

It's sooooo simple!
This one is hot, but you could leave out the chili paste for the traditional peanut sauce that isn't hot. Or, add thai hot chilis for extra heat.

In the electric food chopper:
1/4 cup cilantro
about 1 TBSP ginger (peeled)
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon tamari (soy sauce is fine)
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (or less to taste)
1 big spoonful of Hoy Fung Chili Garlic paste (or none, if you don't want it hot)/(not siracha, but you could use siracha or a hot pepper if you don't have the chili paste- even red curry paste would be ok)
1/4 cup honey (but I leave this out almost always)
1/3 cup lime juice (or rice vinegar), about 1/2 big juicy lime
4 TBSP creamy peanut butter

Mix that, and when it's well chopped, drizzle in some sesame oil (1/2 TBSP or so to taste) and about 1 TBSP olive oil so it's creamy.

Sometimes I don't have ginger, or tamari, or sesame oil, or even lime juice but you can always sub something. I think that cilantro makes it work even if you don't have all the ingredients.

I made myself a pint of DIPA for dinner tonight. It was so good I had seconds. Thirds may be on order. What do I have that is readily available for snackfoods because I have caught a buzz.

I know, bad practice, but I got a little caught up in the Its IPA Day thread.

So what was the final verdict? Funny after my post I came home to baked salmon, and the wife whipped up some home-made honey dijon mustard to go on it. Holy crap, it was amazing. When that woman plays around in the kitchen, it's a beautiful thing. She gets an idea in her head, and the execution is flawless.

I'm going to be house sitting over the weekend so I'm trying to figure out what I feel like throwing in the smoker or crock pot. Last night I made some quick valveeta that just hit the spot!

I thought about making a shallot and cheese fritata (I love eggs too) but I feel like Ive eaten so many eggs lately.
frittatas are awesome.

I like the classic spanish version called a torta or tortilla.

Something like this http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spanish_tortilla/

As a Scotsman more potatoes is always better but I tend to use just one layer on the bottom and try and get them really browned and crispy.

Grandma B's Macaroni and Squash

1 lb #8 Spaghetti broken into @3" pieces
2 lbs Zucchini, sliced
1 small onion, diced
2 cups chicken broth/stock (with more available just in case)
1 TBLS Olive Oil (Pumice is fine, no need for extra virgin here)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried "italian seasoning" or use any combination of the following: basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary. If 1/2 teaspoon is too little, go ahead and add more, I'm not going to tell anyone.
Grated parm to taste
salt and black pepper to taste

This is a nice 1 pot meal. Grandma would make this either when she was feeling lazy or when we had nice garden fresh squash. Saute your onions in the olive oil and spices until they are translucent and add your zucchini. Lower heat and cover and allow the zucchini to steam a bit... about 5-7 minutes. When there is only a very small circle of uncooked veggie in the center of the zucchini slices, add your stock and spaghetti, give a good stir and put your lid back on. Allow to "stew" until the pasta is done cooking (your preference here but I like it a little on the chewier side) and you have the level of liquid you want (I prefer it a little soupier but my father prefers less liquid. Its all up to you here. Add more chicken broth along the way if you want). Top with your grated parm (or similar). The wife brought home Swiss Sbrinz and I gotta admit it was every bit as good.

Serve in a bowl (with a spoon, clean your plate there are children starving in Africa) with a nice chunk of good Italian bread (French bread is good too... even grandma agreed hesitantly) with a smear of butter. Just about any beer or wine goes nicely but then so does root beer or coca cola.

Back