What should I do with $200?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinaa

Reaction score
Did an odd job for a coworker and got paid $200.

I have been brewing for less then a year and do most of my brewing with a friend who had a nice 10 gallon brew bot, a decent propane burner, and wort chiller. When I brew alone, I need to borrow her equipment.

I already have a few glass carboys, a chest freezer with a Johnson control, and all of the bits and bobbles to brew extract/partial mash. Thinking of getting a nice brew pot (10 gal, maybe a 15 gallon pot) so that so I do not have to relay on my friend and maybe we can do some all grain brewing with the two pots. I also have been thinking about investing in a water cooler all grain set up.

Also, another road is kegging, Costco have this nice mini fridge, one keg kegerator, comes setup with everything but a corny keg for a little over $300.

Thought and recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Start with the essentials if you ask me. Get yourself a nice brew pot, burner, and chiller. You'll thank yourself later. Unless of course you like to ask your friend for her company... I mean her equipment... I mean... you know.

Well, a good burner is essential and could last a long time.

A (15 gallon or larger) kettle would last you a good long time, and would allow you to brew 5- or 10-gallon batches. You can pass on the cooler and just do Brew-in-a-Bag in your new big kettle.

I say start there.

$70-$100 for a Turkey fryer with enough to build a chiller, you can biab AG and see if you want to bother with a mash tun. Mine sits mostly unused now still use it when making big beers.

I'd go with ur own burner. Blichmann makes a wicked one. And then add a kettle to boot and u'll be set for life, they last forever as long as u take care of them.

Or if u already have a decent sized brew kettle u could always invest in a cooler for the AG route. Converting them is easy and not too expensive.

I'd go with ur own burner. Blichmann makes a wicked one. And then add a kettle to boot and u'll be set for life, they last forever as long as u take care of them.
Thought about recommending that. I love mine and I've only used it twice (with the leg extensions), but the burner would eat up about $140, the leg extensions are $40, so no cash for a kettle.

I say do kettle first. You can start with an inexpensive turkey fryer (I used the same one for nearly 10 years before getting a Blichmann last month), but get a kettle that can grow with you, jump to all-grain with BIAB, and upgrade the burner years from now.

If you buy a brew kettle get nothing smaller than 12 gal and go 15 to be safe even on 5 gallon batches. My 9 gallon kettle is always trying to boil over and I doubt 1 gallon more would help enough.

Kettle for sure. Grab a nice 15 gal kettle and a cheap Bayou Classic burner for a rock solid setup that'll last you a long time. The burner can be upgraded later, the kettle will do for pretty much any incarnation of your gear from here on out.

I was thinking brew pot, that is really the major tool in brewing, but wanted to get your opinions. Thanks!

Cool. I see you live in Tallahassee. Not too many people on the forums from Tally..

Def. go brewpot

Lots of brewers in Tally, we have our own HBS and local HB club with a large membership. Wonder why there are not more on this forum.

Yea, if you haven't come to one of our meetings, there will be one this Thursday at 7:30

You could get a 10 gallon kettle from Spike Brewing and an sq-14 burner from home depot for exactly $200 including sipping. Sounds like destiny to me!

What do you see your self brewing on in 5 years? How handy are you, do you have excess to a grinder? Do you see where I'm going? The tubing for a brew stand cost $110 out the door, free if you can scavenge it.

That's a tough one because both have their merits. I'd go for a quality bigger pot so you don't have to rely on anyone to brew.

Thanks, my budget isn't quite limited to 200 bucks but it brings a good brew pot into a price range. (like having a $200 off coupon). Looks like brew pot is the popular choice. Thanks!

Back