what should all new homeowners own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJbeer

Reaction score
i am a new 1 bedroom condo owner in a relatively safe area. what should every homeowner own? what non-license bb guns do you recommend?

A hammer and a plunger. Whenever I can't find either of those items I know it is going to be a bad day.

2 plates, 2 sets of silverware and 2 glasses for every person living there.
air freshener
curtains or blinds, you will be walking around naked..just because you can.

A proper tool storage thing, whether that's a tool box or the giant rolling Craftsman cabinet like I wound up getting. You will acquire a ton of tools in the very near future, and you don't want to be tossing them in a junk drawer. And whatever tool box you get, get one that's bigger than you think you'll need because you'll fill it up.

Last thing: This weekend and Father's Day weekend are the times to stock up on tools - Sears has awesome sales.

A set of basic tools: hammer, screwdriver set, wrench set (possibly a socket wrench set as well), flashlight, pliers, etc.

and speaking of tools, there is one tool you need to fix any electrical, plumbing, locks, windows, wall hangings, or any yard work of any kind: a chainsaw. get one.

A chainsaw is indispensable when living in a condo. I'd get a model that comes with substantial home owners insurance coverage. Then invite Billy Klubb over and watch the hilarity that ensues.

Broom, mop & bucket, vacuum cleaner, a few decent kitchen tools like knives, cutting board, some plastic storage containers for leftovers, pans (my fav: the wok), a decent set of plates, bowls & silverware for entertaining guests. A complete set of BBQ tools if you own a grill. A couple of mugs to keep in the freezer for beer. A couple of cookbooks. Various sizes of ziploc bags. Condoms. ;)
Regards, GF.

A basic set of tools including a pipe wrench. You need to know where your water shut off is and when you find that, know what tool you need to turn it off (if any).

Outside of that, you're an adult and likely (hopefully) actually know the basics are in order (dishes, window coverings, cleaning supplies, etc.).

Vise- grips, duct tape, wd-40

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

-

image.jpg

For a condo (I'm assuming apartment style not town house), I think it would be just the basics. Maybe some stuff for repairing drywall too.

And if you can do your own plumbing, you can save a lot of money. I had three plumbing jobs to do within 6 months of buying my house.

A truck. To haul all the crap you need to take care of a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For a condo (I'm assuming apartment style not town house), I think it would be just the basics. Maybe some stuff for repairing drywall too.

And if you can do your own plumbing, you can save a lot of money. I had three plumbing jobs to do within 6 months of buying my house.

There's a good point. YouTube and the interwebz in general is your friend. Growing up, I never learned how to maintain a house. Every house we lived in was left in far worse shape when we moved because my stepdad never fixed anything, so I never got the chance to learn how to fix household stuff. So as an adult, I had to learn everything. My kids make fun of me over how much stuff I've learned from YouTube.

There's a good point. YouTube and the interwebz in general is your friend. Growing up, I never learned how to maintain a house. Every house we lived in was left in far worse shape when we moved because my stepdad never fixed anything, so I never got the chance to learn how to fix household stuff. So as an adult, I had to learn everything. My kids make fun of me over how much stuff I've learned from YouTube.

My father knows how to fix a lot of stuff. But helping the old man essentially consisted of sitting next to him and watching him work. I think we got about the same level of educating.

At least now I get to drink a beer while I watch him work.

These days, when he comes up to my place to help me, I have to remind him that I'm turning the wrench and he is coaching.

YouTube is a great resource for DIY. I've watched videos in plaster repair, installing a hot water heater, fixing a washer, installing a pressure reducing valve, and much more.

Get an interest earning savings account. Put as much money into it as you can. Before long something expensive will break down and need to be replaced.

2 plates, 2 sets of silverware and 2 glasses for every person living there. [...]

That's a ridiculous luxury! 1 of each per person is enough. It also cuts dishwashing chores in half. Add a mug for each if you feel like splurging.

But most importantly, don't forget plenty of brew-ware. Without homebrew, you're not really living.

If I was buying a bb gun for home protection I would get something fully automatic like the drozd. Getting shot with a bb hurts but 300 rounds a minute will send intruders running the other way. Good Luck from one homeowner to another!

Oh I don't know, I think I would buy a new condo if my first instinct was that I needed a gun. It is not to say that I don't appreciate owning a gun, the point is if you don't own one and your literal first instinct when you sign for a mortgage is that you need protection, then you bought in the wrong area. ;)

A good drill, preferably corded. I like Milwakee.

Other than that a solid swt of screwdrivers, some pliers, a hammer with some weight to it and of course...WD-40 / Duct Tape.

A good drill, preferably corded.
what?
A good battery drill can do anything you need.
Working Commercial HVAC I can say its been years seance Ive used a corded drill. Even the hammer drills used to drill threw block walls are cordless now.

Working on the service side this is my drill of choice
71mWvW23LNL._SL1500_.jpg

12v with enough torque to handle most anything. Its all general homeowners would need.
When I need the hammer option I grab the 20V

SWMBO won the drill on the right (the one with the hammer feature) at some kind of work party right before we met. She gave it to her dad. I borrow it often.

what?
A good battery drill can do anything you need.
Working Commercial HVAC I can say its been years seance Ive used a corded drill.

Yeah, but that's the thing. You use the tool often enough to keep the batteries charged.

If you don't do that, might as well but a corded drill and never worry about batteries running out 5 minutes into a job because the charger accidentally got knocked out of the plug...

After a chainsaw, an oxy acetylene torch is an absolute must have.

Fire Extinguisher would be a great addition to this list. Goes hand in hand with the acetylene torch.

that's something I miss about my old welding truck in WY. I had the torch set-up and a fire extinguisher. that and a Lincoln Classic 300D.

Widgets to unclog drains are way cheaper than calling a plumber and safer then chemicals. A toilet plunger (self explanatory) and a DrainStick (perfect for hair in sink and shower drains) would be a good start. I'd always advise trying an inexpensive hand held drain auger before renting a power snake or calling a plumber.

Pay attention to the report from the home inspector you hired (hopefully you didn't just buy without an inspection) and follow recommendations that aren't CYA boilerplate. Swap out the loose outlets, install GFCI's where they are missing, if the smoke dectectors or more than a decade old replace them, install a Carbon Monoxide detector if you have any fuel burning appliances or an attached garage, install a water leak alarm adjacent to your hot water tank if a leak would damage anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am a new 1 bedroom condo owner in a relatively safe area. what should every homeowner own? what non-license bb guns do you recommend?

A "non-license bb gun" in your new condo? ... well why didn't you say so!? ;-)

I recommend a paint ball gun, one of those beer helmets that carry a couple open beers, a brick of firecrackers, a couple of old-fashioned seltzer bottles (full of course), a set of Jarts (lawn darts), a propane turkey-deep-fryer, and a water-balloon catapult.

Back