What kind of paint do you use for your brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndinh

Reaction score
I have a single tier Brutus type stand and I've painted it with flat black engine paint and everytime I use it, paint starts to peel around and underneath my kettles. I've tried repainting it and even put my kettles on metal grates instead of directly on the stand and the paint still peels. It's not only aesthetically not appealing but there are tiny bits of rust that develops (stand is not SS). Besides powder coating, is there another option I can use? Thanks.

I have a single tier Brutus type stand and I've painted it with flat black engine paint and everytime I use it, paint starts to peel around and underneath my kettles. I've tried repainting it and even put my kettles on metal grates instead of directly on the stand and the paint still peels. It's not only aesthetically not appealing but there are tiny bits of rust that develops (stand is not SS). Besides powder coating, is there another option I can use? Thanks.

I've used the header paint on areas like this for my powder coated brewmagic and had no issues with flaking or bubbling.

And yes, if you caught that, even powder coat can have issues.

Powder coating will eventually have issues... Heat is heat, and brewing uses some heat!!! BBQ paint seems to hold up ok, just not a lot of color options!!!

Best mine ever looked was the day I brought it home from being powder coated!!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410493609.845730.jpg

Very nice stand indeed. Do you place your kettles directly on the steel or do you use some sort of grate? Thankfully, mine is flat black so it's not super obvious with the peeling paint.

It's powder coated. I found a local place, the guy told me if I picked a color he had on the shelf I'd be looking at $80. If he had to order a color $150... He just happens to have orange on hand!!!!

My kettles are converted kegs, I place them directly on the stand!!!

Ceramic Coating is the $#!+... But get ready to break out your wallet. I did the exhaust manifolds on my Chevelle, that was $350!!!

Have not... Just painted it last week. Hopefully by the end if this week. I'll be sure to post a pic after!!!

I've used black bbq rattle can paint by rustoleum. The 500° stuff. I usually do a touch-up every year or so. Works well. It's flat black so real easy to touch up. I didn't bother to paint this year. Here's a pic from this week. It's probably been 15 mos since I painted, and probably 25 brews? Not as nice as ceramic paint... I might give header paint a try... want some more color

1410621883895.jpg

You guys paint your stand? Weird! I live in the southwest where the rh is so low that everything rubber cracks in about a month. So rust for me... I was thinking about going stainless though just for kicks.

Op, have you priced high temp coatings vs just stainless? A good local welder cod build a stairs less stand for $500-1000 and you wouldn't have to worry about paint or rust.

I went with none. It is stored inside so it only gets a light coat of rust. It seems like as soon as I paint a metal project I have to cut it apart or add something. My welding is ugly to start with, but the halo of burned paint around the repairs is even worse.

Ceramic Coating is the $#!+... But get ready to break out your wallet. I did the exhaust manifolds on my Chevelle, that was $350!!!

I live in Nascar country. Calico Coatings is 2 minutes from my house. Can get some decent deals around here. Was thinking about checking if they can ceramic coat the top section, powder coat the rest. Bit of masking, but should be doable.

Todd

Latest posts

Back