What is your mill set at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

619Brewer

Reaction score
For those of you who mill your own grains, what is your setting? I just picked up a Barley Crusher with the 15lb hopper but haven't used it yet. I need to go get some feelers to measure where it's at now, but what is your setting?

I just got mine for Christmas and 3 brews in with the factory settings (.39"), I'm getting between 78% and 80% efficiency.

I just eyeball it. At first I crushed a handfull of grain, tweak, repeat til I got it looking good. I keep an eye on the crush and every so often I make a tiny adjustment, but it pretty much stays where I initially set it.

I just got mine for Christmas and 3 brews in with the factory settings (.39"), I'm getting between 78% and 80% efficiency.

+1. If .039 wasn't a good setting they probably wouldn't set it there. But you know, guys like to tinker.

I have mine at .039 and pretty consistently hit 84% with a fly sparge. Mine is not a Barley Crusher.

I've been getting great efficiency with the factory .039" setting consistenly. By the way,it's coated with some kind of oil when they ship it. The instructions & even NB I bought it from said to run a half pound of grain through it to remove the oil. I cleaned the rollers with a brush & rubbing alcohol before running a half pound of grain through it I had left. Even the brush got some black staining on the ends of the bristles.

Another barley crusher with factory settings. When I first got it, I did have some slow sparges but rice hulls have solved that issue. I generally run 70-80% depending on how patient I am while sparging and how well I get my sparge temps and volumes where they should be.

I have a MM 2.0 and it came set at 0.40
Which I promptly set to .038 ad have gotten 83-87% on 5 consecutive brews.

Cranknstein at 0.045 factory setting and get 85-90% efficiency. Worked so why tinker haha

Just got my barley crusher yesterday but haven't used it. I'm planning to start with the factory setting and go from there.

My BC is set at .032 for BIAB. Definitely too tight for wheat though. Damn, that's some hard stuff!

Can anyone post what one of these feeler gauges actually looks like? I bought one from an auto parts store and honestly I don't see how it can fit into the mill. Also, are you adjusting the rollers until the start squeezing the gauge or just until it can slip in and out from between the rollers without touching them much? I just want to be sure I know what size my rollers are at. Thanks.

Can anyone post what one of these feeler gauges actually looks like? I bought one from an auto parts store and honestly I don't see how it can fit into the mill. Also, are you adjusting the rollers until the start squeezing the gauge or just until it can slip in and out from between the rollers without touching them much? I just want to be sure I know what size my rollers are at. Thanks.

This is the one I use
http://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-sae-metric-feeler-gauge-32214.html

you probably have the one that looks like a quarter, which might not be so useful.

my mill is set to .029 but I do wet mill.

I think it was Yooper who suggested .032, so I tried it and have gotten 80+% conversion efficiency with a SS false bottom, with the only stuck sparge caused by pumping too fast.

I have a MM2 set at 0.035 and regularly hit 75%+ efficiency. Big change after I started milling my own instead of from LHBS. I set it so the feeler guage is tight but can slide in and out of the gap between the rollers.

Most folks that I know that use the barley crusher or similar diameter roller mills are from .035" to .040". If I tried that on mine I'd stick in a heart beat. Mine has 5" diameter rollers and for some reason it makes a big difference. I'm set at .069" and have been 86% efficient lately. (taken in fermentor)
Both of my rollers are driven with one running slightly slower which rolls the grain through. It's really strange how much different it acts compared to the barley crusher and the MM.:confused:

I just used mine for the first time at .045 and hit 80% efficiency. Crush looked great, and lautered nice without hulls.

MM3 mill

Back