What is Your Favorite Percentage of Lactose to Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Percetange of Lactose to overall grist ratio

• 5% (Nuance)

• 6%

• 7%

• 8%

• 9%

• 10%

• 11%

• 12%

• 13% (Extreme)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Colbizle

Reaction score
I was reading the BYO article on Milk Stout and Christoffel from Lefthand recommends anywhere from 5% (naunce) to 13% (extreme).

With that said, I am interested on what people prefer based on their experience, so what is your favorite percentage of Lactose to use in a Milk Stout or whatever style you prefer it in?

I like about 8 oz per batch. I have tried 12 oz and a full pound and found them to be too much for my tastes.

I looked at my recipes and that comes out to 5-7%.

I like about 8 oz per batch. I have tried 12 oz and a full pound and found them to be too much for my tastes.

I looked at my recipes and that comes out to 5-7%.

Good to know thanks!

I have only used lactose once. It is in a milk stout. I went by the recipe and it amounts to 8%.

For all the rest of my brews it would be 0%.

So I made no vote.

I have only used lactose once. It is in a milk stout. I went by the recipe and it amounts to 8%.

So I made no vote.

How did you like the taste?

So I made no vote.

How did you like the taste?

Actually I haven't tasted it yet. Also I have never done a milk stout before so I will have nothing to compare as to the amount of lactose.

Looks like most of my milk stouts are around 8%. So far they have all been very, very good. 8ish percent is one pound per five gallons, or in my case, eight ounces per 2.5 gallon batch. :) I have brewed five milk stouts since October.

1lb per 5 gal. seems to be the standard for most milk stout recipes. I take mine even a little higher, but I like my stouts "sweet."

I like 1lb in 5 gallons, if I look at my notes it goes from 8-10% depending. I like that big smooth mouth feel. I'm not super sensitive to the sweetness of lactose so it doesn't come off as sugary sweet to me ever. I voted 10% because I like round numbers and recipes that come out round like that.

I like 1lb in 5 gallons, if I look at my notes it goes from 8-10% depending. I like that big smooth mouth feel. I'm not super sensitive to the sweetness of lactose so it doesn't come off as sugary sweet to me ever. I voted 10% because I like round numbers and recipes that come out round like that.

Ha! Funny you say that.. I have a bit of OCD about rounding the numbers in my recipes too. :mug:

I recently ended up going with about 9% in my chocolate milk stout. I'll report back on the results in a few weeks.

Back