What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerGuy

Reaction score
I made an ale on the 15th this month and within a few days I had this weird kraken floating on top. It started actively fermenting within a few hours of pitching the yeast. Now some has settled to the bottom but some is still floating on top. The carbon is new and was cleaned and sanitized properly prior to using. Also the stars for my beer is SG 1.033 pre boil Gravity was 1.027. The Yeats was a pkg of Us-05 dry yeast rehydrated in warm water sanitized and there was activity. Thoughts on what happened? I have not opened the vessel since it is still fermenting. Also it has been fermenting at 70 deg. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447977019.864126.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447977031.848799.jpg

It's a carboy filled with some dark liquid.

Since it's only been a few days, I'd think that's just yeast doing yeast stuff and will drop out in another day or two.

This is why I started fermenting in opaque buckets...no more questions.

Side question...Why do you re-hydrate US-05?

Because it (or irish moss, or its derivatives) coagulate proteins 'n' stuff into that kind of globby matrix.

Don't worry 'bout it, it's perfectly fine...

Cheers!

Your beer is infected with alien demon spawn...

...that or it's pretty normal and you have nothing to worry about...

...I forget which.

Latest posts

Back